What's new
What's new

Looking for a Preis Panto-Engraver 1/8” collet

Heavy44

Plastic
If anyone knows where I can find one of these or could make one for me please let me know. Thanks

I have never owned a Preis engraver, though I do have some of their type cases and some other engravers.

What does a Preis collet look like? If you have one with the wrong bore, show a picture of it.

If you have a 1/4" collet, 1/4 to 1/8 reducing sleeves are easy to find.

Larry

I have a 3/16” collet. Could I use a reducer for that? I left a career in sales, thanks to covid, and am starting school for machining in August, so I’m pretty new to this stuff hah. Thank you for the reply. Not seeing how to post a picture but will if I figure it out.

You may have found out that 3/16" is not a popular size for engraving cutters. You probably did find lots of cheap Chinese 1/8" solid carbide cutters on eBay. I have bought some and am happy with them, from any of the sellers I used. My big Green engraver uses Universal brand type OW collets that are made in sizes from 1/4" down and I have 1/4" and 1/8"cutters and a number of different size collets. I have added a picture of three OW collets, 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4".

For some jobs, end mills can be useful in an engraving machine and 3/16" is a very common size for HSS end mills, so you may find that collet is a good size to have. I have used them to make wide cuts in thin stock, because the standard V-shape cutters are not always a good choice for that kind of work.

Many makes of air and electric die grinders come with spindles that hold 1/4" shank burs. Same for routers. Some have various types of collets and smaller collets are available. Others do not have collets and those may come from the factory with 1/8" adapter sleeves because 1/4" and 1/8" are the most common bur sizes. That is why the adapters are easy to find. But I do not know of any commercially made 3/16" to 1/8" adapters. Once you are doing lathe work, you can start learning to make an adapter as a beginner project. Single edge engraving cutters do not need to be run in an accurate collet or adapter in order to cut a groove. The outer and inner diameters of the adapter should be pretty accurate in order to grip the 1/8" cutter shank. But concentricity is not terribly critical. Your adapter will need one slit completely down the side.

Larry

Collet set 1 2.jpg

Ok figured it out here’s the collet.
Thanks for the reply.

1cd89e36b8d96254d5bcec29d3bcab76.jpg

acb9ba760fe44fc829588d447dab6518.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is, that is a Preis designed collet that will be very hard to find except by buying another Preis engraver that has more collets with it and maybe some other good stuff like type sets. Engravers are selling pretty cheap these days. I bought a second Green D2 a few years back and just had some parts shipped to me. Told the seller to keep or scrap the rest of the machine.

Larry

Back