What's new
What's new

Looking to purchase a new lathe (not used).

UserManuel

Plastic
Hey guys,

I've been lurking on here for the past couple of weeks and finally decided that it'd be best for me to outright ask those who know more than I.

To preface; I work in aviation. I have about 2 years experience as a manual lathe operator working on aviation bushings. After that gig, I would turn down the occasional tool, bushing, and component as necessary. I've used Kent, Grizzly, and JET lathes. I will be the primary operator of this lathe.

Specifically, I need a quality machine with good aftermarket support. The JET we have now is for a lack of better words, a POS. Whoever ran it before me did a number on it. Considering the new venture my company is embarking on, we'll need a larger lathe with greater precision that the JET. I'll be fitting bushings and sleeves to cylindrical components and will have to turn the OD's post installation. My tolerance on said bushings are .0015 between the two mating surfaces.

JET has terrible customer support considering they source their machines from wherever they can. The KENT was the best machine I've worked on, but I've read about the poor customer support here on practical machinist, not sure how true that is.

We would need something around 17x40, good customer service with a reasonable parts availability, and I would assume some kind of warranty for 2 years +. Needs to have a DRO, tailstock, and a 4-6 (self-centering) jaw chuck option.

Used is not an option, the business owner wants something new. Sub 30k would be ideal but I'm open to suggestions north of that to include in my proposal.

I've looked at the new LaBlond's and I can't find an assessment of where they are made and the quality they provide anywhere.
Kent is still a contender.
Monarch looks like a rebrand of Weiler.
Summit?

USA made is preferred, but not necessary. I think I read that SM is now owned by a US company but manufactured in Taiwan?

I hope I was specific enough and I look forward to the replies.

Thanks in advance for your time and wisdom.

-Manny

who makes summit?

"Profit Margin" makes Summit. Or at least their bizness decisions.

"Profit Margin" have factories all over Europe, Asia, and easily half of Hell. Just not Texas..

Monarch also sell (former) East Bloc lathes. Some damned good ones.

$30,000 is a bit austere, present-day. Wacheon, as suggested, already.

The best "psuedo-manual" lathes NOW are nearly all "teach in" CNC hybrids.

And SHOULD BE, a firm plans to have a future.

Otherwise, no matter how good you are, later if not sooner, some other outfit equally good will beat your turnaround time, price, precision, and consistency at ALL of those ...because they WILL put at least a "semi-auto" to work.

They don't get tired and scrap a part as easily as an unaided human. They can REMEMBER and do that same job, same, way, off already paid-for code, minimal f**k-around time an hour later. Or several years later..

Even on what you THINK is still a safe niche for an all-manual lathe, the "other guy" with CNC hybrid will eventually eat you up.

I have made a lot of parts on a GMC 16x40 lathe I have also run a new made south bend 16x60. The two machines were mostly the same except for bed length. The South bend had a frequency drive which was nice but it didn't have the power the geared head GMC had.

Most manuel machines will come from the PRC.

Not throwing rocks at S-M. Maybe later?

BUT... "Made In North America" all by itself isn't good enough as a qualifier.

I mean.. turn on the wire or WiFi, any day of the week.

Surely US and Canada combined - even without the help of Mexico - must lead the whole dam' world in the mass production of flaming arseholes of the lowest quality, highest noise-level, tragic unreliability, and nearly 100% ruint work at LEAST accuracy imagineable?

And SERIOUSLY over-priced - check the National debt..

CHINA want's to take global number-one at that?

Poor bastids shudda been more careful what they wished for...

:(

Ah, Thermite, Standard Modern, when their beds were cast down the road from me were a good medium duty lathe manufacturer. I’ve used a bunch of them. Not a Monarch or Dean Smith and Grace, but good, tough, Canadian built lathes. What happened since the company was forced to move into the US due to small minded protectionists (on your side of the line) I don’t know. A good condition SM lathe from it’s made in Canada days would be welcome in my shop.

Regards,
L7

Not throwing rocks at S-M. Maybe later?

BUT... "Made In North America" all by itself isn't good enough as a qualifier.

I mean.. turn on the wire or WiFi, any day of the week.

Surely US and Canada combined - even without the help of Mexico - must lead the whole dam' world in the mass production of flaming arseholes of the lowest quality, highest noise-level, tragic unreliability, and nearly 100% ruint work at LEAST accuracy imagineable?

And SERIOUSLY over-priced - check the National debt..

CHINA want's to take global number-one at that?

Poor bastids shudda been more careful what they wished for...

I did consider adding "from globally sourced parts", but farck, everything made here falls into that category. I'd wager a new SM would be better than a new Jet, Grizz, or anything from mainland China, and you can actually get parts and service on an SM.

Ah, Thermite, Standard Modern, when their beds were cast down the road from me were a good medium duty lathe manufacturer. I’ve used a bunch of them. Not a Monarch or Dean Smith and Grace, but good, tough, Canadian built lathes. What happened since the company was forced to move into the US due to small minded protectionists (on your side of the line) I don’t know. A good condition SM lathe from it’s made in Canada days would be welcome in my shop.

Regards,
L7

Kinda like a crossbreed between a Rockwell and a Colchy, I might rate 'em. Dodge pickup of the lathe world? My one was built in Windsor, Ontario BTW. The Dodge, not a lathe.

OTOH, the Czechs & their half-dozen predecessor mini-kingdoms have been world-class artisans in metals and not-only since loooong before Cristobal Colon of Genova gave up Judiasm and converted to RC to stay alive. Serious-good Engineers and designers as well.

Thermite, not trying to pick on you, but have you used a S-M lathe? Or a TOS, or even a Summit? I have. The first two I think are good for what they claim to be. The Summit was, imho a little dodgy..

I’d also put Colchester’s from the 1980’s on the same level as an S-M in use. I have no experience with newer eastern made Colchesters but do own a made in England Chippie and a Triumph 2000. Not Monarchs, but do the job.

L7

Thermite, not trying to pick on you, but have you used a S-M lathe? Or a TOS, or even a Summit? I have. The first two I think are good for what they claim to be. The Summit was, imho a little dodgy..

I’d also put Colchester’s from the 1980’s on the same level as an S-M in use. I have no experience with newer eastern made Colchesters but do own a made in England Chippie and a Triumph 2000. Not Monarchs, but do the job.

L7

Ever yah figure out HOW to "pick on" any entity as doesn't much give a shit, email me privately. Given how many "don't-give-a-shit'ests" there are at large?

We can probably productize it and make serious coin!

:D

Summit you have to quantify "when and which". They've branded Basque lathes, former East Bloc lathes, and ISTR, even Taiwanese and perhaps Brazilian?

Depend on the SIZE, target market need of features, and when in the century they considered a given machine a useful commercial mount worth branding and touting. Or when it no longer was good enough and they were "on to the next."

I wasn't kidding when I said their source was "profit margin".

S-M was never but a rather average lathe. Decent value, but no more than that. Colchy IS a good example of much the same, yes. Nothing special. Generally got the job done for the FIRST owner. Dice-roll came after they were abused or bustid.

ToS/Trens wasn't EVEN a sole producer back in the day. Some of the components came from other East Bloc State Owned Enterprises, Poland, Bulgaria, East Germany most of all.

They are a tad less "grand" modern times and on their own. Competition is no longer mainly USSR, market no longer mainly third-world who hadn't the price of US, Germany, or Japan's best..

Even so, I'd say preent-day ToS & Trens are far more wisely managed than when SOE's. They HAVE to be to survive. "Freedom" as someone pointed out to the East Germans on re-unification, includes freedom to FAIL!

Meanwhile, look at whom owns Lucas Precision - I don't actually know if Monarch is a full subsidiary, or has spun-back-out as a stand-alone partner.

Either way, none of those involved are careless nor uninformed about value for money or reliability.

They pick Trens?

I'm good with trusting their judgment. Very!

Beside.. I LIKE the country, the BEER, the people, and even the food, Czech or Slovak, sides! One of my favorites for "repeat" visits to Old Europe, actually.

Pittsburgh origins? These were your classmates, friends, and your neighbors. The ones who were so legendary good at stuff the Germans, Balts, Poles, Serbs, Ukrainians, and Croats always envied them! Well. Maybe not the Ukrainians? Right capable folk, too, yah get them away from corruption as a way of life!

Well . ...even "HALF way"?

You'd have to know Pissbug, PA, and Agony County?

Back