What's new
What's new

Wood or Metal lathe steady rest?

hawaiidabes

Cast Iron
I recently acquired this lathe steady rest from a woodworking friend. It doesn't fit the bed of his Delta and Oliver wood lathe so he gave it to me. I'm a metalworking machinery nut and I've owned quite a few South Bend, Sheldon, and Rockwell lathes, but I can't identify this rest. It stand about 11-1/2 inches overall height, 5 inches wide at the base. It has "51-64" and Wt 64 cast into the lower casting. I've never seen one with a separate base.
Anyone know what lathe it belongs to?
steve

Unknown steady rest.

Here's some photos of the steady rest.

Attachments

• DSC01422.JPG
    DSC01422.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,732
  • DSC01423.JPG
    DSC01423.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 933
  • DSC01424.JPG
    DSC01424.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 4,955
James,
Thanks for your response, but I think it may be for an atlas lathe due to the lack of v-way notches cut into the base. Not sure yet.
steve

I compared your picture to my Atlas catalog and they are very different. Remember, wood lathes and the Myford 7 don't have V-ways either.

That two-piece construction would allow the same steady to fit different beds and swings.

You might want to mention the swing of the lathe your steady fits, and the swing if the lower base is removed.

Larry

The distance, with the lower base removed, from the bottom to the center where the 3 fingers meet is 4-1/4 inches. With the lower base installed, it is 6 inches from the bottom of the lower base flatways to the center. At the lower base, the flatways are 1-1/4 inches in length. The round opening is 3 inches in diameter.
Hope this additional information help. Thank you Larry for the suggestion.
steve

Whatever it is, it certainly looks as if it would fit a Walker-Turner 12 inch wood lathe. I measured the bed of mine. The ways are ~1 5/8 inch wide, with ~2 3/8 inches between them. Outer edge to outer edge is 5 1/8.

The only W-T steadies I've found so far in old catalogues on line don't seem to have the removable base, but are otherwise similar.

Yes, I realize this thread is over 8 years old, but curious if this steady was ever identified. I just acquired a steady that looks 100% identical to this.

Back