What's new
What's new

looking for recommendations for ball screw rework

Joe Miranda

Titanium
All - we have a noisy ball screw on our late 90's vintage Cincinnati Arrow 500. We have a 750 that we are scrapping with a good ball screw and we swapped them (even though the 750 is longer we were just going to cut off the excess) but it is a different pitch - the 500 is 10mm and the 750 is 8mm.

Have any of you had a ball screw reconditioned and if so; who did it and were you happy with the work - and a ball park price would be nice?

Thanks gentlemen. We contacted a place I had on file in Cleveland Tennessee and they are estimating $1200-$1900. The Ball screw is about 1.75 dia x 32" long. Sound reasonable?

Depending on the type of work you do (lots of high accuracy?), a remapping of the ballscrew error value might be helpful after the repaired screw is installed. And are the thrust bearings good? Might be time to change them too while you're in there.

With older machines it's also worthwhile to check the lubrication system for plugged fittings or broken lines. When my ancient (1997) Haas VF2 went down and we went through it we found a broken Y axis lube line.

Take a look at the housing for the X axis ball screw thrust bearings / motor mount..
Drill a hole in the bottom to drain any coolant.
As long as it is apart you can also install a shaft seal in the front of the motor. It is most likely to be bored to take a standard seal.
Getting a New ball screw from FIVES might be much cheaper than you think. Doesn't hurt to ask anyway.

Take a look at the housing for the X axis ball screw thrust bearings / motor mount..
Drill a hole in the bottom to drain any coolant.
As long as it is apart you can also install a shaft seal in the front of the motor. It is most likely to be bored to take a standard seal.
Getting a New ball screw from FIVES might be much cheaper than you think. Doesn't hurt to ask anyway.

Yeah, Cinci has a long history of having thrust blocks that hoard coolant.
I heard that they finally started drilling them out near the end tho.

The only old skewl Siemens motor that I ever recall having issues with - was from a swamped thrust block.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Thanks gentlemen. We contacted a place I had on file in Cleveland Tennessee and they are estimating $1200-$1900. The Ball screw is about 1.75 dia x 32" long. Sound reasonable?

If you have enough information, I would definitely price a new one (screw and nut) first. It may not be much more than that.

Yeah, Cinci has a long history of having thrust blocks that hoard coolant.
I heard that they finally started drilling them out near the end tho.

The only old skewl Siemens motor that I ever recall having issues with - was from a swamped thrust block.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox - yes - it was exactly that. Our Arrow 500 thrust block was all rusty. The thrust block from our 1000 looks really clean. We're scrapping the 1000 so we'll just scavenge the thrust block from her. I do have the ball screw and nut from that machine if anybody is looking for one. I have a little video I can send that shows how "quiet/noisy" it is. From the sounds of it I would say it still has several years of life left in it.

Certainly there is an aftermarket ballscrew supplier ?
Length, dia. pitch, ends type of dimensions ?

yes - I'm sure there is likely an aftermarket supplier and if someone had been able to recommend one I would may have gone that route. I doubt I would have saved any money though so my mind is ok with the decision.

Back