looking for recommendations for ball screw rework
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Elyria Ohio
    Posts
    2,072
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4252
    Likes (Received)
    949

    Default looking for recommendations for ball screw rework

    All - we have a noisy ball screw on our late 90's vintage Cincinnati Arrow 500. We have a 750 that we are scrapping with a good ball screw and we swapped them (even though the 750 is longer we were just going to cut off the excess) but it is a different pitch - the 500 is 10mm and the 750 is 8mm.

    Have any of you had a ball screw reconditioned and if so; who did it and were you happy with the work - and a ball park price would be nice?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    882
    Likes (Received)
    308

    Default

    We always go through Rockford (used to be Rand), depending on what all is wrong it's a few hundred bucks.

    Jon

  3. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cottage Grove, MN 55016
    Posts
    8,625
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4520
    Likes (Received)
    5086

    Default

    I used to use Lead Screws International. They are now this company. I have not used them yet.

    Ball Screw Repair & Rebuild - Dynatect Manufacturing

    Dynatect LSI (formerly Lead Screws Intl.) - Ball Screw Division

  5. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Elyria Ohio
    Posts
    2,072
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4252
    Likes (Received)
    949

    Default

    Thanks gentlemen. We contacted a place I had on file in Cleveland Tennessee and they are estimating $1200-$1900. The Ball screw is about 1.75 dia x 32" long. Sound reasonable?

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    14,375
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4899
    Likes (Received)
    5202

    Default

    This is a top-quality shop. Threadcarft in Troy Michigan / north of Detroit.
    Custom Ball Screw Manufacturing, Precision Machining, Ball Screw Repair - Sterling Heights, MI
    Last edited by michiganbuck; 07-23-2021 at 11:41 AM.

  8. Likes Joe Miranda, Mtndew liked this post
  9. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    27,888
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8204
    Likes (Received)
    9885

    Default

    Only place I have ever used (and it's been a LONG time now) is Bob's.

    Ballscrew Repair and Replacement - Roberts Ball Screw Repair Service



    Might'a been a good idea to have posted this in the CNC forum maybe?


    ----------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    14,341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3137
    Likes (Received)
    9534

    Default

    Depending on the type of work you do (lots of high accuracy?), a remapping of the ballscrew error value might be helpful after the repaired screw is installed. And are the thrust bearings good? Might be time to change them too while you're in there.

    With older machines it's also worthwhile to check the lubrication system for plugged fittings or broken lines. When my ancient (1997) Haas VF2 went down and we went through it we found a broken Y axis lube line.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    4,876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    635
    Likes (Received)
    1230

    Default

    Take a look at the housing for the X axis ball screw thrust bearings / motor mount..
    Drill a hole in the bottom to drain any coolant.
    As long as it is apart you can also install a shaft seal in the front of the motor. It is most likely to be bored to take a standard seal.
    Getting a New ball screw from FIVES might be much cheaper than you think. Doesn't hurt to ask anyway.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    27,888
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8204
    Likes (Received)
    9885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3t3d View Post
    Take a look at the housing for the X axis ball screw thrust bearings / motor mount..
    Drill a hole in the bottom to drain any coolant.
    As long as it is apart you can also install a shaft seal in the front of the motor. It is most likely to be bored to take a standard seal.
    Getting a New ball screw from FIVES might be much cheaper than you think. Doesn't hurt to ask anyway.

    Yeah, Cinci has a long history of having thrust blocks that hoard coolant.
    I heard that they finally started drilling them out near the end tho.

    The only old skewl Siemens motor that I ever recall having issues with - was from a swamped thrust block.


    ------------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  13. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
  14. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    4,876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    635
    Likes (Received)
    1230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    The only old skewl Siemens motor that I ever recall having issues with - was from a swamped thrust block.


    ------------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Need to second that..

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    AR, USA
    Posts
    1,033
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    21
    Likes (Received)
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miranda View Post
    Thanks gentlemen. We contacted a place I had on file in Cleveland Tennessee and they are estimating $1200-$1900. The Ball screw is about 1.75 dia x 32" long. Sound reasonable?
    If you have enough information, I would definitely price a new one (screw and nut) first. It may not be much more than that.

  16. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
  17. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Elyria Ohio
    Posts
    2,072
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4252
    Likes (Received)
    949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Yeah, Cinci has a long history of having thrust blocks that hoard coolant.
    I heard that they finally started drilling them out near the end tho.

    The only old skewl Siemens motor that I ever recall having issues with - was from a swamped thrust block.


    ------------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Ox - yes - it was exactly that. Our Arrow 500 thrust block was all rusty. The thrust block from our 1000 looks really clean. We're scrapping the 1000 so we'll just scavenge the thrust block from her. I do have the ball screw and nut from that machine if anybody is looking for one. I have a little video I can send that shows how "quiet/noisy" it is. From the sounds of it I would say it still has several years of life left in it.

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Elyria Ohio
    Posts
    2,072
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4252
    Likes (Received)
    949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert123 View Post
    If you have enough information, I would definitely price a new one (screw and nut) first. It may not be much more than that.
    Robert - new from Fives is $5200. That made it a pretty easy decision.

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22,783
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miranda View Post
    Robert - new from Fives is $5200. That made it a pretty easy decision.
    Certainly there is an aftermarket ballscrew supplier ?
    Length, dia. pitch, ends type of dimensions ?

  20. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Elyria Ohio
    Posts
    2,072
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4252
    Likes (Received)
    949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Certainly there is an aftermarket ballscrew supplier ?
    Length, dia. pitch, ends type of dimensions ?
    yes - I'm sure there is likely an aftermarket supplier and if someone had been able to recommend one I would may have gone that route. I doubt I would have saved any money though so my mind is ok with the decision.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •