What's new
What's new

Looking for a replacement feed gear

Phoenixforge

Plastic
Hi Folks,

Recently picked up an old elliott universal mill, only to discover that the self feed wasn't functioning. after stripping it down to find where the problem was, Im now in need of a replacement bronze feed gear.

Would any one know where i might be able to purchase a spare or would anyone be willing to machine me a new one.

Ive attached a couple of photos of the problem gear...

im based in the UK.

I think it is 1" id 16 teeth. ~2.5" od but a little tricky to measure (see photo)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• gear 3.jpg
    gear 3.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 117
  • gear 1.jpg
    gear 1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 109
  • gear 2.jpg
    gear 2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 116
  • gear 4.jpg
    gear 4.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 112
That's a worm wheel and not a gear. Some may call it a worm gear, but I have always called them wheels. I believe Elliot went put of business, but check with Tony at https://store.lathes.co.uk/elliott and here is a website with worms and wheels. He may know someone with spare parts. Measure the pasts. Also look for a name plate with model number and serial number. We have a few English members who maybe able to help.
Worm Gear | KHK Gears

Hi Folks,

Recently picked up an old elliott universal mill, only to discover that the self feed wasn't functioning. after stripping it down to find where the problem was, Im now in need of a replacement bronze feed gear.

Would any one know where i might be able to purchase a spare or would anyone be willing to machine me a new one.

Ive attached a couple of photos of the problem gear...

im based in the UK.

I think it is 1" id 16 teeth. ~2.5" od but a little tricky to measure (see photo)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Check US sources too. I could be wrong, but IF not, South Bend rebadged the Elliot mill and sold it in the USA as a South Bend mill for a time.

You have a nice looking mill..........therefore,why cant you cut your own worm wheel?......thats what the mill is actually made for......and its not rocket science...........IF you could find that part,it would be priced out of this world...........By the way.....the Elliott Co are still in business,having reinvented themselves as London property spivs .....with the Willesden factory being remodelled last year for upmarket offices.......so if you are in the market for a prestige location,just around the corner from "The Scrubs",dont forget to mention I sent you.

OK, you have my attention. How do I generate an accurate worm wheel on a knee mill? May save me a small fortune on class AA hobs. Does this work for multi start worms as well?

I call dibs on the pile when you bin them. Okay? I could really get used to avoiding spending $800 - $1500 for each cutting tool... So, I'll just be over here, holding my breath... Okay?

Google Homeworkshop.org a U.K. Site where you can post a wanted add foc folks have had good sucess locating obsolete parts that way.

To cur a worm wheel have a look on the Tube.

You will need to know the D.P. Of the worm, make a suitable hob and have a dividing head all requires investment in time and money if you haven't a dividing head. If you can find someone to machine one for you it will give you time for other projects.

whether a half measure hobby level hack job would suffice.

Too true. Got enough of the old wheel for a quattah section or better, one could do THAT with a coupla goes at rubber molds, then patch and munge in the wax and cast it.

Bit of work with a die grinder, files and shavers, grab the Clover compound or Timesavers and yer soon back in bizness.
Can even work in non-metallic casting compounds.

Cincinnati Milling Machine elected to show the knee mill approach in their 1916 Treatise. Shows gashing and then "hobbing" using the free-to-rotate method. Clearly they opined that the INACCURATE result would do on occasion

Repeated with more modern equipment 35 years later in the 1951 edition

Still requires the absorbing and applying of data and the making of a hob of the correct lead (and pitch dia.) that actually cuts

A treatise on milling and milling machines .. : Cincinnati Milling Machine Company : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Last edited:
There's no end to these forums being an exhibit of unskilled hobbyists and hacks desperately in need of self verification.

Ill have you know that not only am I highly skilled in hackery,but also have a doctorate in bodging,and have specialized in hammer and chisel work for over 60 years......A virtual Michaelangelo of artistic chiselling on oddsize retainers.

Ill have you know that not only am I highly skilled in hackery,but also have a doctorate in bodging,and have specialized in hammer and chisel work for over 60 years......A virtual Michaelangelo of artistic chiselling on oddsize retainers.

Phht.. too much like WORK!

Traded all that for a PhD (Piled higher and Drier) in creative procrastination, and I'm far the better for it!

Rest of you lot are on your own. As usual.

:)

Back