What's new
What's new

Looking for screw machine grade steel that can be hand forged

richard newman

Titanium
I'm looking for 5/32 round steel that threads well and can also be hand forged Threads will be 8-26, cut on a Hardinge DSM, with either Geometric head or round die (depending of cost for custom 8-26 chasers) Will be for banjo hooks, only a couple of dozen at a time

I'm thinking leaded and sulfured steels might be hot short, yes?

Picture is of a commercial hook, mine should be much more interesting.

Attachments

• hook.jpg
    hook.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 274
Macwhyte flying wires (spelling probably mangled)

Where stainless, ends looked like that pix, threads where rolled.

Don't want stainless, just a simple low carbon steel.

Sounds like you answered your own question. There's no reason why you can't thread low carbon steel. It often won't get forged, but that's got little to do with its forgeability, it's mostly that there's rarely a need to take advantage of forging's strengths. It's usually just better to use a better alloy or something.

Sounds like WLA is the grade of steel you require for this job.

Digital Electric Polymer Metering Pump
Drive Unit Features
·Variable eccentric adjustment stroke length to smooth pulsation impact of flow rate.
·Robust structure design suitable for pulse impact and harsh operating conditions
·Sliding bearing and high intensity wearable worm gear ensure stable long-term operation.
"If you are interested in purchasing this type of environmental protection equipment, then you should first consider a company, Qilee-green first-class technology center, with research, development, testing, system integration and other comprehensive technical capabilities. Since then, they have become the standard to measure the whole system of environmental protection equipment. They are famous for their excellent life span.
Learn more about environmental equipment at Shanghai QILEE Environmental Protection Equipment - best reverse osmosis system | reverse osmosis membrane price.

Digital Electric Polymer Metering Pump - Metering Dosing Pump - Pump / Roots Blower

Jesus at least put it in a thread that is remotely close to your spam topic lol...

Wow,this thread got weird! Thought I was asking a simple question, was hoping for a simple answer. Thanks to those who actually addressed the topic.
I must have missed something in requirements....
boring, old school W1 would be first choice off initial requirements for me. forges slightly harder than butter, forgiving, forges thru ought section- not on surface only, annealed files and cuts easier than butter, cheap, has some rust issues compared to stainless.

The extreme machinability desired for screw-machining comes not only from the composition, but also the condition--heat-treat or cold-work. And a lot of it is low ductility, so that chips break. Not what you want for forming, cold or hot.

Looks like a part to be cold-headed, then roll-threaded. With those processes, ductility and work-hardening both contribute to a better part.

The extreme machinability desired for screw-machining comes not only from the composition, but also the condition--heat-treat or cold-work. And a lot of it is low ductility, so that chips break. Not what you want for forming, cold or hot.

Looks like a part to be cold-headed, then roll-threaded. With those processes, ductility and work-hardening both contribute to a better part.

Yes, I'm sure that's how they are produced commercially. But I only need a few dozen pieces, and can't afford a large tooling or set-up charge. The cost of a custom 8-26 tap is about as much as I can justify.

Back