What's new
What's new

Looking For Shop Layout Help

paramedico987

Aluminum
So, I've been tossing around the notion of a new shop. I'd likeley be building a new structure on my property and so, naturally, I'm sort of playing around with ideas.

I was able to find a free online program for basic layout called Floorplanner.com. But much to my surprise, they don't have a way for you to import a 1967 J-Head Bridgeport [or any other machinery for that matter]. What the heck use is a floorplan tool if I can't mess with how all my stuff would fit?!

Anybody know of something that would suit this sort of tinkering which wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg?

So, I've been tossing around the notion of a new shop. I'd likeley be building a new structure on my property and so, naturally, I'm sort of playing around with ideas.

I was able to find a free online program for basic layout called Floorplanner.com. But much to my surprise, they don't have a way for you to import a 1967 J-Head Bridgeport [or any other machinery for that matter]. What the heck use is a floorplan tool if I can't mess with how all my stuff would fit?!

Anybody know of something that would suit this sort of tinkering which wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg?

A paper drawing of the proposed floor plan and a bunch of paper dolls of the various machine footprints, all to the same scale.

Grizzly Industrial also has a shop planner app on their website that has all of their equipment available to click and drag onto your shop plan.

I make 1" to 1' 2D models of everything including the machines, shop floor, doors and windows. I find that scale big enough to see and easy to set up space between things. An appliance box works well for the floor and poster board for the machines makes a good contrast.

I also recommend the Grizzly shop planner. You are able to change the measurements on the standard tools that are in the app to make your stuff fit. We have used it to lay out 4 shops at work already,

A paper drawing of the proposed floor plan and a bunch of paper dolls of the various machine footprints, all to the same scale.

I made cutouts of the actual working area for each machine and drew the machine on it.

Like for a Bridgeport, you could be standing off to either side cranking the table. You don't want to interfere with a guy running another one next to it.

If you've got a " Bridgeport ", or any other milling machine for that matter, don't back the column into a corner. It limits your ability to hang long jobs off the end of the table.

Regards Tyrone.

I find I spend months planning it out then find nothing works the way I planned it so I spend 6 months continuously rearranging until it works just right.

After you've done the digital version, and if you do indeed actually build a shop, it's worthwhile to lay out your machines and benches actual size on the floor. We used big rolls of black plastic sheeting and made full size cutouts to lay on the floor. It will look much different, and give you a better feel for your walking space and such...

The architect we just hired for the new shop did something very similar but with polypropylene board. I believe they just had them all laser cut and puzzle pieced them together.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Back