Looking For a Small 4 Jaw Chuck With 5C Mount - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Careful with your offset, small gripping diameter might mean you can't offset a small part very far before one pair of jaws hits one of the first pair or isn't gripping the part very well.

I'd either make a spit bushing with an offset bore or use an emergency collet if I had a spare one.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nmbmxer View Post
    Careful with your offset, small gripping diameter might mean you can't offset a small part very far before one pair of jaws hits one of the first pair or isn't gripping the part very well.

I'd either make a spit bushing with an offset bore or use an emergency collet if I had a spare one.
    Quick and dirty "collet-like" adapter has been a fav for enhancing 4-J (and not-only) for Donkey's years. Not speaking of "pie" or top-jaws here.

We've prolly ALL done the other thing ... of putting a "hunk" of sacrificial drop or such (wood or plastic, even) up and boring or milling - or even sawing it to hold a "challenge".

I'm reading the OP as having a far more routine and "regular" need for some sort of work common to his particular tasking in this case.

This is one of those times.. the UNMOUNTED 5C (and ER 40 plate-mount) simply go into the full-sized 4-J .. and the whole body of the key-operated nose-mount 5C or the plate-mounted ER .. or the four or six sided collet BLOCKS.. are put wherever they need to be as to offset with the commonly-mounted 6" 4-J.

Nothing "special" otherwise needed.
    Last edited by thermite; 10-29-2020 at 08:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by implmex View Post
    Hi again projectnut:
    Yes Levin is awesome but it goes for Levin prices and it won't clamp your parts any better than the Sherline one will.

I have a Sherline 4 jaw I bought in 1997 and it's still working like a champ.
    I turn with it, I cylindrical grind with it, I do all kinds of wild and wonderful things with it and it has been more than adequate for everything I've ever done.
    I can still center a part accurately with it, even after twenty years of using it for necking down carbide cutters and other horrid shit that will play havoc with chucks.

I have ZERO complaints with it and it's under 200 bucks, brand new out of the box.

Cheers

Marcus
    Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
    Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining
    Marcus, thanks for the recommendation (and all your other helpful input) been lookin/procrastinating to get one for misc stuff since I have lots of 5c hardinge tools, collet-holders, dividing heads etc. It is also nice and compact, the body and collet being machined in one piece it appears. Ordered one, (and it's a US company). Cheers

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had the 4 jaw chuck. I purchased a 5C fixture mount and married the two together.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by car2 View Post
    It is also nice and compact, the body and collet being machined in one piece it appears. Ordered one, (and it's a US company). Cheers
    Give us a shout when it comes in and you can see if well made and also TRULY "US made" not just assembled

Bangood @ $49.95 each and a $20 off coupon for 80 MM or not, I'm trying HARD to not to buy any more Chinese goods, rest of the century.

Let their companies take a hit from their fool government's COVID project - just as our companies take it in thierear when our Gummint screws up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Give us a shout when it comes in and you can see if well made and also TRULY "US made" not just assembled

Bangood @ $49.95 each and a $20 off coupon for 80 MM or not, I'm trying HARD to not to buy any more Chinese goods, rest of the century.

Let their companies take a hit from their fool government's COVID project - just as our companies take it in thierear when our Gummint screws up!
    Will do, it says on the website that chucks are made in-house, 12l14 bodies, case-hardened and ground jaws (unhardnened 5c shank). Will probably mount another bit larger chuck on a 5c "plate" for general larger use. Even if one is paying slave-wages, don't see how anyone can produce a "chuck" and ship across the ocean for $50--more like ballast for the ship. Marcus' 20 year use and abuse is a good reference.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will do, it says on the website that chucks are made in-house, 12l14 bodies, case-hardened and ground jaws (unhardnened 5c shank). Will probably mount another bit larger chuck on a 5c "plate" for general larger use. Even if one is paying slave-wages, don't see how anyone can produce a "chuck" and ship across the ocean for $50--more like ballast for the ship. Marcus' 20 year use and abuse is a good reference.
    Sherline's tooling and accessories aren't bad for the small size end of the market.

Otherwise, once you hit serious volumes on tuned-up CNC, $50 isn't all that hard.

Bust OUR chops, actually, how damned hard our own shops have to work for so thin a per-item margin.

Also possible they are taking a beating, given Wuhan Flu has knocked almost every country on the Planet off their game.

That said. I do not WANT to buy Chinese, now. If I cannot afford US or good European, Korean, Japanese, Brazilian, Indian, etc?

D'ruther JF do without!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

" Sherline's tooling and accessories aren't bad for...
    Sherline's tooling and accessories aren't bad for the small size end of the market.

Otherwise, once you hit serious volumes on tuned-up CNC, $50 isn't all that hard.

Bust OUR chops, actually,.."

There you go speed ball! crap quality all the way, but you are an amateur troll boy....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post
    " Sherline's tooling and accessories aren't bad for...

Bust OUR chops, actually,.."

There you go speed ball! crap quality all the way, but you are an amateur troll boy....
    Can NOT resist the urge to stalk even if only to show us your degenerate ass, yet again?

And you claim to NOT be a psychopath? Well, that was a cheap shot, sorry.

You have NOT denied that, have you? Embraced it and reveled in it, rather.

"Amateur?" I certainly was at one time. Figure you were about six years old that year?

Haven't lost control of my bowels yet. Is that what is messing up your ability to cut and paste, now?

Have you apologized to yer Mum for prematurely reporting her dead of COVID to the whole world yet, wound-collector?

That little piece of your extra-special evil is not going to just vanish from view. Archived. More than one place, I am sure. Count on that.

Somebody will take an interest... in your motivation?

Hardly any "thought process" to it, was there? Above your present pay grade, a "thought process".

You figure on getting her phone number changed? Her address? Walla Walla County's?

Can't exactly skip town with an Axelson up your patootie, can you?

Morton's fork? Seems not!

What an easy choice you have crafted for your self, dear Mr. Hobson!

You chose PM to announce that lie to the world?

You will be kind enough to tell PM how the apology to yer Mum went?

Disguising yerself as a horsefly turd and hoping it will all "blow over" isn't going to cut it..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would use one of my Kalamazoo fixtures with the 5C collets I already have. Just mount the fixture in a 4 jaw chuck. 1CC 5C INDUSTRIAL COLLET CHUCK FIXTURE

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by magicmaker View Post
    I would use one of my Kalamazoo fixtures with the 5C collets I already have. Just mount the fixture in a 4 jaw chuck. 1CC 5C INDUSTRIAL COLLET CHUCK FIXTURE
    I csn see advantages to the slender cylindrical form.

I have this type:

All Industrial 41210 | 5C Collet Chuck 5" Diameter Plain Back 5C Collets Lathe With Chuck Wrench - All Industrial Tool Supply

One for "normal" 5C use on a D-3 back.

The other has identical dimensions to the Bison it was probably copied from. I did find a Bison forged-steel D1-3 mount to fit it BUT..

It is handier used in a 4-J because it can EITHER be dialed-in to be "highly" on-center, ELSE intentionally offset to do repetitive assymetrical turning.

I have not (yet) had the need, but.. so long as "only slightly" a plate-mount can even be tilted. On-center'ed or not.

Needless to say, a small 3-J could be gripped in the 4-J and set up either way as well.

"Machine Shop 101"

- There are always multiple ways to screw up.

- There are always multiple ways to prevail.

- The swift do not always go to the races.

Or something like that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Can NOT resist the urge to stalk even if only to show us your degenerate ass, yet again?

And you claim to NOT be a psychopath? Well, that was a cheap shot, sorry."

You seem to have wanted to be a doctor, we are lucky you decided to be a fake machinist,
    Show a photo termite! you talk it up, but you show it down, what a clown!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post
    "Can NOT resist the urge to stalk even if only to show us your degenerate ass, yet again?

And you claim to NOT be a psychopath? Well, that was a cheap shot, sorry."

You seem to have wanted to be a doctor, we are lucky you decided to be a fake machinist,
    Show a photo termite! you talk it up, but you show it down, what a clown!
    "and the condemned donie stalked again"

What IS your plan to explain why it was you declared to the world that your own Mother had died of COVID as another of your wound-collecting attention bids?

She might not be the only one who wonders what the HELL your motivation was?

Time will tell....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Update on new Sherline 5c 4-jaw Chuck; Looks Good (MADE IN USA)

Update: received the Sherline 4-jaw ($177.00). Haven't used it but it looks and functions nicely. Jaws very nicely ground and fitted, jaws fit very well in body, move smoothly with minimal screw backlash. Body and 5c adapter very well finished (no burrs, file/hand-grinder-marks, gnarly threads, etc like cheap imports) , has threaded ID on end of collet for using a stop. Very satisfied so far. **MADE IN USA** Will get two short t-handle 5/32 hex wrenches for use. Spend a few extra bucks for the USA-made chuck, and save time and cussing while trying to file burrs, chase threads, stone t-slots on a cheapo import. (thanks for the recommendation Marcus)

img_6860.jpgimg_6862.jpgimg_6861.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoyance View Post
    I had the 4 jaw chuck. I purchased a 5C fixture mount and married the two together.
    I am currently in the process of marrying a 3 jaw chuck and 5C mount I currently have in stock. The chuck is a Union scroll chuck that has an OD of 4-3/8" The 5C mount is only 4" in diameter. I'm making a transition plate to mate the 2. Later in the week, or early next week I'll be ordering the same 4 jaw as car2 did.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Update: received the Sherline 4-jaw ($177.00). Haven't used it but it looks and functions nicely. Jaws very nicely ground and fitted, jaws fit very well in body, move smoothly with minimal screw backlash. Body and 5c adapter very well finished (no burrs, file/hand-grinder-marks, gnarly threads, etc like cheap imports) , has threaded ID on end of collet for using a stop. Very satisfied so far. **MADE IN USA** Will get two short t-handle 5/32 hex wrenches for use. Spend a few extra bucks for the USA-made chuck, and save time and cussing while trying to file burrs, chase threads, stone t-slots on a cheapo import. (thanks for the recommendation Marcus)

img_6860.jpgimg_6862.jpgimg_6861.jpg
    And thank YOU for the update!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by projectnut View Post
    I am currently in the process of marrying a 3 jaw chuck and 5C mount I currently have in stock. The chuck is a Union scroll chuck that has an OD of 4-3/8" The 5C mount is only 4" in diameter. I'm making a transition plate to mate the 2. Later in the week, or early next week I'll be ordering the same 4 jaw as car2 did.
    Glad things turned out well. I just ordered the same chuck this morning. I'm taking a chance using the USPS shipping. I have a tool still on order from Shars 8 days ago. It was supposedly a guaranteed 4 day delivery but it still hasn't arrived. It was in town the day after ordering, but has since gone to Pennsylvania and made a few stops in Illinois. The last it was seen was Nov. 2 and it was only a few miles from it's origination point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by projectnut View Post
    Glad things turned out well. I just ordered the same chuck this morning. I'm taking a chance using the USPS shipping. I have a tool still on order from Shars 8 days ago. It was supposedly a guaranteed 4 day delivery but it still hasn't arrived. It was in town the day after ordering, but has since gone to Pennsylvania and made a few stops in Illinois. The last it was seen was Nov. 2 and it was only a few miles from it's origination point.
    Mine was USPS priority also, arrived in 3-4 days, pretty quick. I've usually had good luck with USPS flat-rate/priority. Usually when things bounce around like that, there is a zipcode/labelling/barcoding problem, and it bounces around automated sorting till it gets spit out and corrected. Cheers, good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    And thank YOU for the update!

You're Welcome!