What's new
What's new

Looking for some experienced with surface grinders in Las Vegas to help w/new machine

bll230

Hot Rolled
I have just finished rebuilding a a Boyar Schultz 612 surface grinder. I have never used a surface grinder, anyone in Las Vegas who would be willing to come over and give me some advice?

John

Steve Barton, Solid Rock Machine on youtube has a couple of videos on setting up surface grinders. His other videos are also worth a look- smart guy.

L7

Be sure to mine PM for the many threads related to newbie use of surface grinders. There have been many threads on what very common mistakes to avoid when selecting, mounting, and truing wheels, for instance. We’ve all been there. One of the recurring themes for new users is to think their spindle bearings may be bad since they are getting a corrugated burned finish. After much worry, fussing, and consternation they figure out the wheel was not trued and mounted properly and likely was too fine grit. They get this straightened out and suddenly the machine cuts leaving a beautiful true surface.

http://surface grinder wheel practicalmachinist.com

Denis

Plenty of grinding going on in Vegas, just not the sort you need.

Youtube will answer your questions.

The first job I ever had in a machine shop was grinding blades on a surface grinder, to this day one of my biggest f'ups.

Back