What's new
What's new

Looking for source of gear oil for a Burgmaster

crrmeyer

Stainless
While back I picked up a used Burgmaster OB turret drill press. I finally have it working except for one thing - it needs oil.

The earlier manuals call out using Mobile Compound DD. The later Bermaster Houdaille manuals call out Mobile Gear 632. From what I can find, the modern equivalent is MOBILGEAR 600 XP 320, which is an ISO 320 gear oil. The Bergmaster 0B uses 5 ounces of oil. The smallest pail of Mobilgear is 5 gallons, which is enough for 128 oil changes or about 38,400 hours (4.38 years) of continuous use. If cost was the main issue I would probably buy a pail of the Miles NIMBUS 320 INDUSTRIAL GEAR OIL. They claim it is blended from high Viscosity Index Exxon/Mobil base oils. At $63.97 delivered via Amazon, it it pretty good deal. I just don't like the idea of tripping over a bucket of the stuff for the next 100 years.

Any thoughts on alternative lubricants available in smaller quantities? ISO 320 = 60W motor oil, but I presume I would want non-detergent to prevent and damage to copper or brass parts. That does not seem to be available. Also I presume it would not have any EP additives like proper gear oil?

Any input would be appreciated. Or if you have a smaller quantity you wish to sell, please let me know.

Thanks

Greetings,

I've got an 0B, and talked to the guy down in LA who used to do the spare parts for them, about 10 years back.
I asked him about the oil, and he said to just use normal 90wt in it, for as much use as these things get these days.
That said, I've been using 90wt in mine since, with no problems. Not all that many hours, but enough.

FWIW,
Brian

As it has been stated hundreds of times before, do not use automotive lubricants on machine tools!

As for small quantities, go to McMaster-Carr. In the chain/gear oil section, you can buy quarts of Mobil oil in both synthetic or mineral based.
JR

I'm curious about Tractor supplies special "Pre 1953 ford 90w" oil, they sell it
in 2 gallon containers.

I think it might be minus the "antiweld" additives, so detrimental to the light
metal parts.

Back