What's new
What's new

Looking for Weird 13, or 13.5 Tap

Zardiw

Plastic
Got a bolt I'm trying to find a tap for. Thought it was a 14mm, but it must be 13.5, or even 13mm.

Bolt measures .55 (13.97mm).

External thread measures 13.462mm (.535in). Pitch is 1.5mm

All the tables I've found skip from 12mm to 14mm.....cause 13 is unlucky I guess...lol

Any help would be appreciated.

z

The real question is why do you need to find a tap for this particular bolt?

You state "Bolt measures .55 (13.97mm)"
Then you say "External thread measures 13.462mm (.535in). Pitch is 1.5mm"

How are you measuring these dimensions (what tools), and what is the difference between "Bolt" and "External thread"?

Typically major thread diameters on fasteners are smaller than their nominal designations, such as a 9/16" bolt (nominal .5625 major dia) made at an actual dia of about .550, maybe a little larger. The 1.5mm (.0591") dimension is awfully close to nominal 1/16" (.0625"). Just offering food for thought.

On edit: Note that a 9/16-18 thread has a pitch of .0555".

Last edited:

Thanks!!!....

I found some also also, but was hoping to not have to order it via slow boat from china.......lol

Chinese must think 13MM is very lucky.....lol

Gonna hope that one fits.....cause a 14MM x 1.5mm is pretty close....hope it's not a 13.5 x 1.5 ...cause I found some of those too.......lol...

And now the Fun is BACK!!!.....lmao

And thanks for the thought it's really close to 1/2"...I'm gonna try a regular 1/2 in bolt........will let you know

z

Guess what......a 1/2in Bolt FITS!!!

Thanks to everybody who responded...

Fun gone again :(

z

Crap......rechecked the fit and it's pretty sloppy.....back to 13.5 x 1.5......WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.......Fun is back!....lol

At least I won't have to lathe-mill that T-Nut that came with it....Thank God..lol

Slow boat it is I guess.....sigh:

1Pcs M13.5 x 1.5 HSS Right hand Thread Tap Threading Tool | eBay

Come to think of it.....maybe I'll just drill/tap it for 1/2 in and get a Grade 8 bolt from Home Depot....probably the simplest.....

Note to Self: Don't overcomplicate shit. Sometimes the best solution is the easy one.

z

I cut my tee nut blank in the lathe using a 6 jaw scroll chuck and at that time I had like 2 insert tools and about 3 hours of experience cumulative on a lathe ever.

It’s really easy honestly and if you have a 4 jaw it’s even easier.

If you can handle interrupted cuts you can chuck the blank on its side and cut the edges down to size and then mount the nut flat and turn the face down, I left a round raised lip in the middle to keep all the threads present.

I cut my tee nut blank in the lathe using a 6 jaw scroll chuck and at that time I had like 2 insert tools and about 3 hours of experience cumulative on a lathe ever.

It’s really easy honestly and if you have a 4 jaw it’s even easier.

If you can handle interrupted cuts you can chuck the blank on its side and cut the edges down to size and then mount the nut flat and turn the face down, I left a round raised lip in the middle to keep all the threads present.

That sounds pretty cool......I've got at present 0 hours.....lol...but probably 30+ hours on YouTube..

However my 'T-Nut' is actually a machined item on my cross slide.

It's about 2.5 inchs long, and has an actual T machined into the entire length.

Only way to make another one is to mill it.

Now I did get a 3/4 bottom mill/collet, and was gonna mount the blank in the existing tool holder...it fits.....however, it's too low...and even with shims, not gonna be able to mill it. I can't raise it high enough to mill it from the bottom, OR low enough to mill it from the top.....

SO, the current plan is to mount my existing T Nut in the 4 Jaw...center it with the bolt that holds the tool holder, and drill it out 27/64 and tap it for 1/2 inch.......

I have a 9/16 Grade 8 Bolt that's long enough...however it has 12 pitch threads...I think it's thick enough to cut 13 pitch 1/2" threads over the existing threads......then I have to thread the other end 14mm x 2mm......and part off the head of the bolt........cause this thing actually needs to be a stud....

Fun times....lol....

At least I'm gonna bust my cherry with a 4 way and funky threading...lol.....I'll keep you posted on how it goes....need to take some pics.

z

This is my wedge type cxa set up. That’s a spacer I turned down the other day to bump my tool post up a bit higher. It’s not threaded

Thanks! .....but my setup is pretty different....

The Bostar tool holder is just a smidge too high.

If the tool holder is flat on the cross slide, I'm guessing the top of a 1/2" tool is about .010 or so above the center line.....but I think that's ok....3/8 tools fit OK.....

z

Hmm, I run 3/4 inch tooling in my 16”.

If your 1/2” tooling is too high with your TP flat on the compound then I think honestly your screwed.

My t-nut is supposed to have a milled lip on both sides as well but as you can see I opted to just Face the nut down and leave a circular feature in the middle with all the threads left.

You could face a new nut down to fit under the compounds “lips” but the pic don’t really give a good idea of the gap between the compounds “lips” and the base of the t-slot.

I think you’ll be fine because the t nut doesn’t add much “strength” Milled into a T vs a flat nut.

Also since you have a 4 jaw you can actually lock your chuck and use a cutter mounted on its side With the compound like a shaper and shape the “Tee” into your t-nut

Hmm, I run 3/4 inch tooling in my 16”.

If your 1/2” tooling is too high with your TP flat on the compound then I think honestly your screwed.

Also since you have a 4 jaw you can actually lock your chuck and use a cutter mounted on its side With the compound like a shaper and shape the “Tee” into your t-nut

Thank you.....You gave me an idea.

I think I can mount the tool holders in the 4 Jaw and mill a few of them down a few thou....that's all they need to be low enough.

I've drilled and tapped the existing 'T-Bar' and it seems to work well. Temporarily bolted the tool post to it........working on making the stud now...

I think this is a much simpler solution to the problem...maybe others can benefit.

The first picture is how I centered the shaft, cause my gauge arm isn't here yet. I watched it slide on the cross slide and got it as close as I could.

Also included a picture of a cool hen that I got.....lol

TNut1.jpg
TNut2.jpg
TNut3.jpg
THolder1.jpg
CoolHen2.jpg

That’s a 10” swing china lathe?
What tool post is that, a Bxa?

Edit. You called it a AXA r u sure?? Because that seems very odd that an AXA wedge TP doesn’t go low enough for your 10” swing, I’m not Familiar with your lathe but a AXA is 7-12” swing and your 10” should fit it nicely.

You might need a 0XA TP instead.

Having a bigger tp with bigger tooling doesn’t help you ANY if your lathe is underpowered or not stiff enough to handle it, if anything your about to be chasing your tail for AWHILE trying to figure out vibration and finish issues.

Not to mention that lathe has a gear head stock right? Are they all metal gears because with an oversized TP your putting ALOT more stress on your gear train.

Might need to get you some spares

Edit#2, your TP says axa.. yeah your tee nut looks like the skin on my teeth and makes me think your TP is actually a size too large.

Also NEVER leave a chuck key in the chuck as if turned on it can easily KILL you and/or destroy your lathe.

Your picture if the chuck with key still in it has a warning sticker telling you to never leave the key in the chuck.

Last edited:
Ok....got er done......long part of stud is 14mm x 2mm and short end is 1/2 - 13

Was a lotta fun......had to use vice grips to bottom it in the T-Nut...so it's a pretty tight fit....

Also I'm going to always be threading backwards....that's why that threading tool is upside down....Great idea from Joe Pieczynski........No worries that way about crashing the tool into the chuck.....lol...he's got a lot of gread vids on YouTube.....guy knows a lot and has really cool ways of doing things.....well worth watching his stuff: Joe Pieczynski - YouTube

THolder4.jpg
THolder3.jpg
THolder2.jpg
THolder1.jpg

z

Back