What's new
What's new

Losing concentricity

intothefiregw

Plastic
Im trying to maintain a high amount of concentricity but for some reason I often realize half way into making a part that the center drill hole is all of the sudden a few thou out. I have no idea what I'm doing to cause this. I feel like Im being easy enough on the work but its like I bump it off center all the time... Am I the only one??

Im trying to maintain a high amount of concentricity but for some reason I often realize half way into making a part that the center drill hole is all of the sudden a few thou out. I have no idea what I'm doing to cause this. I feel like Im being easy enough on the work but its like I bump it off center all the time... Am I the only one??
Face off for no nub, and use the facing tool to make a starting cone for the center drill.

Lightly...LIGHTLY bring the center drill in to play.

Face off for no nub, and use the facing tool to make a starting cone for the center drill.

Lightly...LIGHTLY bring the center drill in to play.

Center drill as Digger Doug says then drill undersize and bore to size with a single point boring bar.

If that doesn’t work then you have unwanted movement in the work, work holding or machine.

Was it concentric when you started ?
Many materials can move whilst being roughed out.
Or is it actually moving in the chuck.
I found some materials required remachining the center before finishing.

But if its not straight to begin with then follow advise above.

i turn down the diameter, center drill, drill and bore... everything is spot on at that point as far as I can tell. Then i use a live center to support it and start to shape the rest of the work. Im not sure when it starts to go south from there. I recently upgraded from a south bend Model A to a Feeler 618e so I guess theres a bit of a learning curve... I brought the spindle speed down from 1100 to 800 today and it seemed to help a lot... :confused:

If your center is true to begin with and you are taking more than a skin cut after you center you probably aren't doing anything wrong. Steel moves as internal stresses are relieved when you cut a bunch of the original material away. This is why whenever you have much stock to remove you need to spring and reset the part. If you need very tight concentricity and it moves much during roughing, it's a good idea to recut the centers also.

Definitely add at least a small 60° bevel if you are currently running on a sharp corner - that is a no-no. Both for maintaining centerline and for maintaining your center! You can always re-tool it later if the part moves a bit due to stresses being relieved when material is removed.

On big machines with longer work that is fussy, this is standard practice. Rough complete, then re-tool both centers and finish.

Definitely add at least a small 60° bevel if you are currently running on a sharp corner - that is a no-no. Both for maintaining centerline and for maintaining your center! You can always re-tool it later if the part moves a bit due to stresses being relieved when material is removed.

On big machines with longer work that is fussy, this is standard practice. Rough complete, then re-tool both centers and finish.

I’m fitting several different materials together, I make spinning tops. So if I lose concentricity and re cut the center hole I’ll stuff be off I think...

This can be caused by a 3 jaw chuck, the clearances needed for the scroll chuck to function can shift under high speed or cutting forces. Often encountered on performance machines like the Monarch ee.

Something that strikes me - he's using a chuck, drills, bores, then uses the live center. And it is a new-to-him lathe.
Is the tailstock aligned with the headstock?
Try chucking up a piece of scrap, turn a kinda 60 degree point on it, then bring your live center up and try to "pinch" a 6" scale between the points. What happens?

(And yes, you need a 60 deg bevel in that hole for your center to seat in)

Something that strikes me - he's using a chuck, drills, bores, then uses the live center. And it is a new-to-him lathe.
Is the tailstock aligned with the headstock?
Try chucking up a piece of scrap, turn a kinda 60 degree point on it, then bring your live center up and try to "pinch" a 6" scale between the points. What happens?

(And yes, you need a 60 deg bevel in that hole for your center to seat in)

I haven not checked alignment yet, there is VERY little taper when turning OD but I'll go ahead and check it this way next time I run it. :)

Back