What's new
What's new

Lost a Lathe Today

pops2004

Plastic
Happen to see a 13x40 lathe for sale today on Facebook marketplace. From the pictures it didn’t look to bad. Was all there but had a little surface rust. Price was $350! Naturally I jumped on it but was told I was second in line. Lady said if the first guy didn’t take it, it was my turn. I told her I had my trailer hooked up and was ready to make the 15 mile trip to come get it. Well needless to say the first guy took it. Oh well. Put the trailer back in the barn next to my tractor. Maybe next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your title confused me. I am getting old and always misplacing small drill bits inserts and screws. Never lost a lathe yet. :-)

Happen to see a 13x40 lathe for sale today on Facebook marketplace. From the pictures it didn’t look to bad. Was all there but had a little surface rust. Price was $350! Naturally I jumped on it but was told I was second in line. Lady said if the first guy didn’t take it, it was my turn. I told her I had my trailer hooked up and was ready to make the 15 mile trip to come get it. Well needless to say the first guy took it. Oh well. Put the trailer back in the barn next to my tractor. Maybe next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You lookin' for a "Participation Award" or sumthin' ?

IIRC Guy Lautard had a story titled "We Lost That One Sheave Altogether". It was a large magnesium wheel for a wire coating operation, if I remember, and required remachining of the rim periodically. So they'd taken it to an old time shop with large old lathes. The old machinist was working away and the magnesium swarf was starting to accumulate. Someone tried to raise a question about that but the old machinist just told them he knew his business and to butt out. Somehow the fire started, and of course with any cutting oil and the fine magnesium shavings you can see what's about to happen. It cut that lathe right in half.

So, there's another lathe "lost".

Lathes get lost all the time.

Many years back, a friend bought a Monarch 10EE at a Handford Nuclear auction. When he went back with a trailer to pick it up, no one knew where it was, didn't know what happened to it. He got more and more hostile until he got to the auction manager. Investigation suggested some insider familiar with the paperwork, had slipped an outsider a forged bill of sale and in the confusion immediately following a large auction, his 10EE was hauled out the gate. He got his money back, but still has not found a 10EE as nice for the bargain price he thought he'd paid.

jack vines

You were close at least.

There's a notoriously douchey machinery dealer in Portland- Dan Lewis. He primarily buys craigslist deals, doesn't verify if it works or not, inflates price by 10,000% and sits on it until it sells, then goes radio silent when you find out it doesn't work or he never ships the missing parts he promises.

I enjoy being next to a seller when dealer Dan calls.

Lathes get lost all the time.

Many years back, a friend bought a Monarch 10EE at a Handford Nuclear auction. When he went back with a trailer to pick it up, no one knew where it was, didn't know what happened to it. He got more and more hostile until he got to the auction manager. Investigation suggested some insider familiar with the paperwork, had slipped an outsider a forged bill of sale and in the confusion immediately following a large auction, his 10EE was hauled out the gate. He got his money back, but still has not found a 10EE as nice for the bargain price he thought he'd paid.

jack vines

An interesting fact about auctions, at least in PA is that if you win a bid and they can not produce the item in the condition it was in when you won the bid then they are obligated to replace the item with one of comparable value and condition. Comparable value being defined by what the item is worth, not what you paid for it. They will try to offer you your money back and if you accept it then it's over but if you know what their obligations are and refuse the money you will eventually end up with something equal or better than the item you won.

An interesting fact about auctions, at least in PA is that if you win a bid and they can not produce the item in the condition it was in when you won the bid then they are obligated to replace the item with one of comparable value and condition. Comparable value being defined by what the item is worth, not what you paid for it. They will try to offer you your money back and if you accept it then it's over but if you know what their obligations are and refuse the money you will eventually end up with something equal or better than the item you won.

I'll also add the same applies to riggers which is why many times I have gladly paid more for rigging than the item or machine itself.

That's what happens when you are trying to buy lathe in Åland islands.
Try Sweden or Finland next time, Åland has only apple lathes.

Back