What's new
What's new

Lovejoy Coupling Issues.

Bobnotthecat

Cast Iron
Sirs,
So...some time ago to help a good friend and customer, I bored, keyed and splined a Lovejoy coupling after advising him to purchase a model LH 200 from Bailey Hydraulics. It came with a Buna N spider that failed right away. He then ordered a spider made from urethane. Still not getting good service. On Baileys web site they have a chart for the LH series couplings and their associated spiders. This chart shows four different spider materials and their torque/HP values. Bailey says that they have nothing better than the urethane and that I should call Lovejoy. Lovejoy sales person gave me the UPC number for the spider that I needed but said that she could not sale directly to me but that I need to call a distributer for the part. After calling my local Applied something or other co. the sales person said that he would have to call Lovejoy cause his number wasn't the same by one digit. When he called me back he asked if he wanted him to e-mail a quote to me. I said I'm on the phone lay it on me. He then told me said part was over $2000.00. What?!

My questions are:

Does this sound right or am I getting snowed.

Where could I get a 64D shore insert (green?) spider for the Lovejoy LH 200 series coupling at some realistic price?

If I wanted to make a comparable spider what material would I want. I have access to micarta and would that provide a lasting satisfactory part?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Bob....not the cat.

We need more information. What hp and rpm. There is also the issue of if the shafts that the coupling is going on are actually within allowable tolerances on alignment and runout.

I have used the Hypalon on severe applications that was high horsepower and high rpm.

The $2000 quote sounds like a custom make which Your friend likely does not need.

Something is just not right.

Neither of your two first spiders should have failed in the first years of service.
These things should go 40 years plus in a 24/7 run.
How bad is the misalignment?
You can have them made of brass but I I do not think a higher hard spider solves the problem.
Bob

Main drive motor coupler on my Matsuura only lasted 34 years Bob,40?
Smiley here.
Gw

Our big ones go out every 7 years (40 hp pumps) like clockwork. I just replaced some of the brass spiders on conveyor drives after 15 yrs, maybe did not have to, but they had to come off for other work. On the other end we have a cute 5hp pump with the lovejoy in the reservoir so constantly splashed and hot, 2 years tops on it. Structural shop environment is not as kind as machine shop. 2 grand sounds crazy, for a 20$ total unit. Looks like rpm is rated at 90 on that one, any alignment issues that are normal for coupling get amplified with more rpm.

One of the things that can easily destroy the spider is any slack when the coupling is installed. Make sure there is some compression on the spider before everything is snugged down. In one case where one was failing frequently on a keyed shaft we used clamps to hold the flanges tight against the spider while snugging down the setscrew and backed the coupling up with two split shaft collars - no more failures.

I also agree with what everyone has said. The salesman probably has no clue and if I were you I would call Love-Joy directly, Ask for technical help. Support - Lovejoy - a Timken company

I suspect your shafts are out of alignment. You need to also mike the shafts and make sure they are round and the same size along length. Check the key with a mike or veneer to be sure it is the same size and tight in the keyways. The a quick way you can check alignment is lay a 6" scale against the 4 side of the OD of the shaft and see if they align. Also check the mounting bolts of the motor and pump to be sure they are tight. Here are several ways to align the shafts. YouTube.

Last edited:
$2,000 is a probably a "book" flat-rate for any custom work, and not all that expensive for what they do, "fully burdened" time & testing, possible bit of contribution to reserve for liability (such as it is..).

One former Day Job, our in-house lab - targeting a mere 15 Durometer for a totally unrelated in-house & "trade secret" application did similar work - plus testing - every month of the year.

If one of the "stock" offerings won't give at least six months service, the application or installation is flawed.

Whole different TYPE of coupler may be indicated. Not all are compact, size-wise.

Epilogue.

Sirs,

I used the link provided by bosleyjr to the Motion Industries appropriate page and discovered their number for the high torque spider that I needed. I then called the Motion Industries 800 number that promptly redirected me to the local office in Pittsburgh. I then told the salesman, a fellow Yenzer, what I was looking for and he informed me that he needed to call Lovejoy to see if they had any in stock as they had none locally. I thought, here we go again, but was pleased that he called back right away. He then informed me that the part was obsolete. Oh!!! Well he went on to say that the part was available under a different number and that he could have it shipped out of Tennessee today at a very reasonable price.

I will from now on be dealing with Motion Industries and am done with any co. as inept and apathetic as the Applied something-or-other crew.

I think this will fix this coupling problem but will investigate any misalignment if not. I have the assurance though, from the customer, that the coupling is within tolerance of alignment.

Kudos to Motion Industries and to you great fellows that contribute here!

Thanks,

Bob....not the cat.

Back