What's new
What's new

Low cost Propane in your area?

dkmc

Diamond
Had a nice deal with a neighbor that had a Suburban bulk fill setup. I could just take 4-5 tanks over at a time and fill them at their cost. Then finally, Suburban pulled their scam that they weren't using enough volume, and jacked the price way up. They told Suburban to come get the bulk station, and went with an outfit that just swaps out tanks, that they provided.
They won't swap with my tanks.
SO.....I found out an equipment rental place 3 miles up the road fills anything, and went there today. I was shocked in a good way to see propane is .39/gal for the 33lb Motor Fuel Forklift tanks. Wow. Sign for 20lb grill tank re-fill.....$5.

So what's current pricing at YOUR location?

So $3.06 to fill a 33lb tank. Why is a 20lb'r $5?

Still hanging around $2 a gallon here. Unless you go to
the places that were bought out by HUGE corporations, then
its probably about $4.50 a gallon, and then they send you
a bill for $80 for some random bullshit after you've already
paid.

My friend was complaining and rightly so they charged him $79.00 to fill 2 forklift tanks.
I fill my tanks out of my house tank. I think I payed $1.30 a gallon last month.

$13 to fill a 33LB Motor Fuel tank

You're confusing pounds and gallons. A 33lb tank holds 7.86 gallons.

So $1.64 a gallon, which is a pretty darn good price. I'm hoping it
goes lower. Putting in a 500gallon tank this summer at the house so
I can use a small local(to the shop) supplier. Small family owned
company, been around so long they have the word "Butane" in their name.

OT but the gas station across the street had a bulk fill setup. Until somebody cracked a fitting off the tank and there was a 12 foot geyser of liquid
propane shooting up in the air. Volunteer FD person knocked on our door, apologetically telling us we had to leave, and go to the street corner a block
away.

Wife and I nearly ran him over getting off the front porch. We departed the area in extreme haste, and kept on going, far far away. Fortunately
no iginition source, so no BLVE. Turns out the fire marshal had NO idea the setup was there, was not permitted. It went way *very* shortly
thereafter...

My home supplier has carefully followed the price of unleaded regular for the last twelve years. Now, with gas at $1.64 a gallon, the propane guy doesn't want to explain his pricing. I can heat with electricity for one forth of the propane cost.

A RV dealer in the area offers propane for 99 cents/gallon in the summer RVing season. May to Sept??
They only will fill tanks with that overfill protection thingamajig.

Best I have seen, ever.

Edit:
"It's .99 cents a gallon at Bretz RV in Missoula from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend."

They have locations throughout Montana and one or 2 in Idaho and I think they all do the 99 cent deal.

Last edited:
A RV dealer in the area offers propane for 99 cents/gallon in the summer RVing season. May to Sept??
They only will fill tanks with that overfill protection thingamajig.

Best I have seen, ever.

Hell of a price Doug, here on S. Whidbey retail for bbq and forklift tanks has run $1.90-2.10/gal for years. Skagit Farmers fills my farm tanks But they won’t fill portable tanks on site, sister does the books so not sure of the price but it’s always been less than retail.

That's what I get for trying to do math sober

You're confusing pounds and gallons. A 33lb tank holds 7.86 gallons.

So $1.64 a gallon, which is a pretty darn good price. I'm hoping it
goes lower. Putting in a 500gallon tank this summer at the house so
I can use a small local(to the shop) supplier. Small family owned
company, been around so long they have the word "Butane" in their name.

Jumping in here I know the BBQ tanks have a lifespan then have to be hydroed or replaced. Cheaper to replace then test. What about the bigger tanks and how about the permanent mounted truck tanks for running the main engine instead of gasoline. Do they have a inspection date? How about home tanks
Bill D

I think it's all based on 5 year inspection intervals. Visual inspections, then a hydro at some point.
A point I was concerned about. At one point years back, I used to go to the local Uhaul for relatively cheap refills. Tank data was never an issue, connect and fill. Then a few years back I went there with a couple MF tanks, NOPE, can't fill them, outta date.
Hum.....apparently the Propane Police came to visit Uhaul, and slapped them about for not adhering to common law rules and regs with tank date codes.
When I got my tanks filled yesterday, I was fully aware that they are out of inspection, and wondered how strict they would be with checking the numbers. Turns out it was a non-issue, the propane technician dude was caught up in talking about moto-cross action, and never glanced at any tank numbers. It certainly doesn't hurt that I keep my tanks clean and looking nice. Looking newer instead of older.
That can all change any day, IF the Propane POPO come by and visit them. I hope that doesn't happen.

Jumping in here I know the BBQ tanks have a lifespan then have to be hydroed or replaced. Cheaper to replace then test. What about the bigger tanks and how about the permanent mounted truck tanks for running the main engine instead of gasoline. Do they have a inspection date? How about home tanks
Bill D

When I had my 250 gal tank installed, I had the option of buying it, or renting it. The rent is only $70/ year and that includes whatever inspection/ maintenance etc.
For bbq thanks, the easiest deal if it's expired is to just trade it in where they have one of these Amerigas cages. They'll take your old tank, expired or not, and give you a good one.

Here in NW New Jersey propane delivered to the house is running my neighbor $1.50 a gallon. I take the 100lb,(20gal), tanks down to the same place he gets it from delivered and they charge me $80 for the fill, $4 per gallon. Then when I take a 20lb BBQ tank (4gal), I am charged $18, $4.50 per gallon. All out of the same supply tank. I was also told that if the delivered propane was not for heating, the price would be higher. How do they get away with it?

I have 2 500 gallon tanks, I fill them once a year.Usually takes 600-700 gallons. 1.10/gal right now before the summer sale, expect it will go down .15-.20. this is the only heat in my shop. WTF does anyone screw around with wood, coal or pellets?

I wanted to bury my 1000 gallon tank so I had to purchase it. Then I got a deal on used hot water solar heating panels and my propane usage went way down. Now I do a summer fill every 3 years. I purchased a valve that hooks to the wet leg of the tank and fill my own portable tanks. They don't get the full load in them but I have plenty of tanks so that's not an issue. The valve, hose, and fittings were a little pricey but they've paid for themselves in savings and convenience.

Back