What's new
What's new

Low Frequency Turning

PrecisionCliff

Plastic
I’ve been looking around at a lew machine. I’ve been seeing a lot of articles about Low Frequency Turning in Magazines like Modern Machine Shop and such. I inquired about this with the machine distributor. He told me that they have had these machines in the field and tweaked them. My first thought and basis of my inquiry was “does this cause premature wear on motors, ball screws, ways, etc.”?
I’m just wondering if anybody here has any first hand experience with this or has heard anything from anyone else. The idea of not blasting high pressure as much and eliminating stringy chips sounds good to me, but I was told that this was about a $20k option. Just seeing if anybody could give me any advice.

Somebody's got to ask it: WTF is a lew machine? :D Typos are only forgiven if the key was adjacent to the correct letter ;)

No experience with it yet, but my next Citizen will have it. Eliminating stringy chips would be well worth it in barfeed machines that run unattended.

I guess the effect is like pecking while drilling to break the chips. but at a microscopic level. I guess you only need to back off a few atoms of distance to break the chip.
Bill D
Do armies on the march still break stride when crossing a bridge?

I have no experience with this at all, but it seems that it would dull the cutting edge quicker by making it constantly have to start a new chip. Often in normal cutting the edge only has to make the initial incision and from there on it is a splitting action like a wedge splitting wood.

Bill

Interesting though. Complements spinning turning tools. Sometimes when you have to do something on a clapped-out lathe the tool shakes similarly.
:cool:

Better late than never.It looks like they finally got a programmer that actually ran a lathe for a long period of time. Thirty years ago ,I would occasionally edit programs in order to break stringy chips. This was at the machine g code editing. It was very tedious and potentially dangerous.Feed z .010 rapid back .050 rapid forward .040 feed another .010.Repeat repeat repeat.This was easy but tedious for a long straight cut,but almost imoposible on a radius or taper,to much chance for error. Edwin Dirnbeck

Better late than never.It looks like they finally got a programmer that actually ran a lathe for a long period of time. Thirty years ago ,I would occasionally edit programs in order to break stringy chips. This was at the machine g code editing. It was very tedious and potentially dangerous.Feed z .010 rapid back .050 rapid forward .040 feed another .010.Repeat repeat repeat.This was easy but tedious for a long straight cut,but almost imoposible on a radius or taper,to much chance for error. Edwin Dirnbeck

Mastercam has the ability to peck turn. I would assume that other cad/cam programs do as well.
It's a nice feature for stringy shit. But this low freq stuff I don't understand it. Is it actually pecking?

Mastercam has the ability to peck turn. I would assume that other cad/cam programs do as well.
It's a nice feature for stringy shit. But this low freq stuff I don't understand it. Is it actually pecking?

The citizen video mentions spindle synchronization so maybe it is stopping the feed for a rotation every some programmed number of rotations when the encoder hits it's zero point.

Any of you stereo guys? Put a woofer on your toolpost opposite the tool and report back :D

It looks like this...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8FlOSHZ7VwU

There was a company selling drill holders for gun drills that had a transducer built in. Pretty impressive results.
Can’t find them any more.

M4 Sciences, they're still around. Their system is called TriboMAM (Modulation Assisted Machining).

The difference with LFV (if you believe the people selling the LFV) is that the oscillation is linked to the spindle rotation, so you can specify the number of pecks per rev, or the number of revs per peck, whereas the TriboMAM was independent of the machine controller. They're both impressive, and they both work. Which works better? I can't say for sure.

M4 Sciences, they're still around. Their system is called TriboMAM (Modulation Assisted Machining).

The difference with LFV (if you believe the people selling the LFV) is that the oscillation is linked to the spindle rotation, so you can specify the number of pecks per rev, or the number of revs per peck, whereas the TriboMAM was independent of the machine controller. They're both impressive, and they both work. Which works better? I can't say for sure.
Cool, thanks for the lead.
I would expect that the ability to synchronize could be an advantage...but I see no reason the add on system couldn’t be synchronized by adding an ancoder.

I ran a 16inch Monarch lathe that had a broken feed mechanism for about 2 solid weeks while waiting for parts.I did all the feeding with the hand wheels. I got pretty good at breaking chips.I found that I needed to actually quickly reverse feeding then feed again.Edwin Dirnbeck

Back