What's new
What's new

Lubricant for worm gears in bandsaw

Porschefix

Hot Rolled
This convertible bandsaw was purchased new in about 1965 from Grainger. Recently it started doing some uncharacteristic things. After cleaning the gears I found some wear on the gears, not enough to quit turning the bullwheel but has had low torque stall etc. The gearbox was packed with black, I assume moly grease of some sort, no telling. I found a pair of new gears to fit from Boston Gear and the differences between the gears is the old gears were hardened steel, the new are cast and bronze.
Boston Gear recommended Klubersynth UH1 6-460 Gear oil but after looking around it appears to cost between $40-$50 per quart, and I only need about 6 ounces. They also stated that if I used grease that it should be non-EP with the bronze worm.
My question is, can anyone recommend an easily obtained less expensive gear oil that would be good for my application? So, non-EP grease or gear oil?

Thanks

image005.jpgImage.jpg

I'll probably get mega-flamed for this, but I'd go to my lawn mower center and ask for a little bottle of Snapper riding mower gear box lube. It's about a double 'ought' and should do the trick...it's thicker than a 140 weight gear lube.

Stuart

If it has seals something like Redline MT-90 would probably last another century. GL4 and Bronze compatible

I just put 90wt gear oil in my bandsaw gearboxes.

I have some Molykote BR2+ it's supposed to be good for worm drives. If you want some I'll bring some by.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lubriplate makes worm gear lubricant it can be bought in quart containers ,also known as 600 weight steam cylinder oil. Bill

I was looking at that Lubriplate synthetic and it looks like a righteous substitute, although still a little hard to come by. I like the idea of going to the lawnmower shop and picking it off the shelf. However some more research is in order, thanks for the idea though.

Whoops sorry thought BR2+ was non EP. I bet there is a possibility that the EP additives are not compatible with the bronze gear.

What is the part number on the Lubriplate? I may have some also. I have two different Lubriplate greases

GL4 and lower are okay with yellow metal. GL5 oil will attack yellow metal. These are EP rear end lube for cars. GL5 came out about one year ago so older stuff is okay.
Bill D

600W Steam cylinder oil has been the go to oil for worm gears forever. The only place I know of to get the real thing is Mobil, and the smallest container is 5 gallon pails. If you're up for that, Zoro is my place of choice to buy it. I've been running it in a bandsaw with a bronze wormwheel for 40 years, the gears have outlasted 4 sets of gearbox bearings and seals, I only recently had to replace them for the first time.

That Lubriplate synthetic lube looks really attractive for the same application.

600W Steam cylinder oil has been the go to oil for worm gears forever. The only place I know of to get the real thing is Mobil, and the smallest container is 5 gallon pails. If you're up for that, Zoro is my place of choice to buy it. I've been running it in a bandsaw with a bronze wormwheel for 40 years, the gears have outlasted 4 sets of gearbox bearings and seals, I only recently had to replace them for the first time.

That Lubriplate synthetic lube looks really attractive for the same application.

5 Gallons , Thats like 20X lifetimes supply. I agree that the Lubriplate Synthetic worm goop looks pretty good right now.

You're doing some good research so take a look at your John Deere dealer for some corn head grease (?) I think it's a '00' grade and might come in small bottles..or Tractor supply Co.

Stuart

OR visit your old Ford restoration supply as they have 600 W in qt bottles .Model A's used it in several places. And the corn head grease is a good option also and about $5 a tube at the dear John store.

OK, you're probably looking for a semi-fluid grease. My Wells uses a NLGI #0. I called my Mobil rep and asked if anyone in the area uses Mobilith 0. Sure as heck, a stamping house uses pails a month for the lube system in their presses. They gave me what they would have scraped out of the pail, probably 2 quarts.
JR

Some of the early EP GL5 gear oils relied heavily on a zinc (if memory is correct) based compound, on a molecular level this bonded then ripped of a microscopic layer on yellow metals every rotation (do to simply alloying) and caused a lot of very premature failures, more than a few of the GL5 gear oils though were reformulated to avoid this, IMHO you absolutely want a EP lubricant, but you have to confirm its yellow metal compatible and its all down to what it uses for those extreme pressure capabilities. ERGO read the label! Worm drives are about the worst things going wear wise. Just so much rubbing.

You're doing some good research so take a look at your John Deere dealer for some corn head grease (?) I think it's a '00' grade and might come in small bottles..or Tractor supply Co.

Stuart

What the ??? Steam cylinder oil? Corn Head Grease? Model A Ford Diff. Oil? EP is Good BUT it Kills yellow metal? ** Why do I have to learn so much when I post on this dang site? CHRIST ISN'T ANYTHING EASY? OK I'll be looking into these and other suggestions today in my *cough*free*cough* time. Thanks for the input, I think :)
Ron

Back