What's new
What's new

Lubrication question for old Wilton Strands gear head drill press

Tony_H

Plastic
Hi – I recently acquired a very nice Wilton gear head drill press (Model 20606). It’s at least 30+ years old and was made in Sweden. I believe it is a Strands judging by a label on the gearbox. I am cleaning it up and trying to figure out its various mysteries. Last week this forum helped me figure out how to remove the arbor (self-extracting, who knew?), and now I have a new mystery: what type of lubrication does this machine require. It has weird fitting all over that look like grease fittings, but are not Zerks (pictures are rotated 90 degrees cc for some reason). To make things more confusing, the only manual I could find on-line says to add a few drops of oil to the fittings on top of the gear housing (snip attached). It also says the table raising gear has an oil reservoir. This manual may or may not be the correct version for my exact model.

Does anyone know if these are oil fittings or grease fittings? If they are oil fittings, how does one get a “few drops” of oil in them. Any help/suggestions is appreciated!

Attachments

• SnipFromManual.JPG
    SnipFromManual.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 172
  • FrontViewofGearBox.jpg
    FrontViewofGearBox.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 435
  • Fittingstopof GearBox.jpg
    Fittingstopof GearBox.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 164
  • FittingsonTableCrank.jpg
    FittingsonTableCrank.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 158
Just an additional note: I know there are fittings called "Button Oilers" (or something similar), and there are a number of threads in the PM forum on how to use them, but I'm not sure how to figure out if that is what I have or not. I can tell someone tried to put grease into them, but I don't know if that was a mistake, or if they knew something about what the correct lubricant should be.

DoAll D-25150

Just picked-up four drill presses today. One of them is a DoAll D-25150 which turns-out to be identical to your Wilton Strands shown above. I’ve been unable to locate any manual and am clueless to the lubrication points you have pictured. Am looking for any details you may be willing to share as far a parts schematic and operation manual.

I also picked-up a nice Powermatic 1200 that is operational, a Walker-Turner 1100 and a Clausing 2277.

Great to have finally registered for the forum. I’ve gotten so much help through the years from these pages.

Info/Manuals for Strands/Wilton/Boice gearhead drill presses

I've uploaded a manual for several of these Strands made gear head drill presses at Vintage Machinery. Wilton/Strands/Arboge/Boice Crane, probably DoAll as well- all of these were made by one or two Swedish manufacturers and badged variously. The tip-off is the transmission, which is essentially identical in design across multiple brands.

I'm rebuilding one. Gears are readily available (Bolton Engineering in England), bearings are standard.

BTW- yes, those are oilers in the top, but the manual says to pull the side of the case and oil manually. Too much oil can leak into the motor stator and cause trouble.

Back