Lyndex Nikken 5C Collet Set - Should they Stay or Should they Go? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glad I am not the only disappointed by Lindex lack of quality. It was my understanding that they made a quality part. Ordering a 5/8” and 1 1/16” though Amazon it was Traver that sent the collets. Mine say made in Japan on the box. Measuring the 5/8”, it was .014 larger then my used Hardinge collect. The 1 1/16” was just over .007” overside compared to the cheap import I purchased originally 2 years ago. It slightly better made than the $16 import, but not enough to warrant the price. There is nothing on the web page or the included paper that mentions anything about for over sized material. I need to drop them off at the post office, I guess Amazon is no longer using UPS for returns.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree. Send them back. I won't pay near USA prices for India stuff with a good name. I would rather pay double for USA or 90% less for Chinese.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    The Lyndex collets I have from McMaster have an India sticker on the side, so presuemably Indian origin.

I'll put one in the lathe and check the runout. It's an HLV so I know the spindle is good.
    What would be great to do (and fair play) would be to buy the 100 dollar set and compare. If the 100 dollar set works as well as the Lyndex, publicize the hell out of your test.

4. Likes Mcgyver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Schrodinger's cat was maybe a cat40.
    Only if you don't observe it...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by majohnson View Post
    Glad I am not the only disappointed by Lindex lack of quality. It was my understanding that they made a quality part. Ordering a 5/8” and 1 1/16” though Amazon it was Traver that sent the collets. Mine say made in Japan on the box. Measuring the 5/8”, it was .014 larger then my used Hardinge collect. The 1 1/16” was just over .007” overside compared to the cheap import I purchased originally 2 years ago. It slightly better made than the $16 import, but not enough to warrant the price. There is nothing on the web page or the included paper that mentions anything about for over sized material. I need to drop them off at the post office, I guess Amazon is no longer using UPS for returns.
    Are you sure their oversize? It might collapse down to a true 5/8 when it's pulled in with the collet closer.

If they are sprung open to allow the shaft to come out with marking the part then you'll measure some taper as you measure at different positions along the collet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by machinistrrt View Post
    Only if you don't observe it...
    Precisely. Can't tell if they're dead if you never looked them over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Their TIR is quite poor compared to quality Taiwanese collets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

about 6 or 7 years ago i bought a set of Lydex 5-c made in Japan in 1/16 increments . E-Bay for $150.00 NEW. i guess i did good. like you guys i'd send them back. the importer probably proffited $1000.00 on the set!!

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    about 6 or 7 years ago i bought a set of Lydex 5-c made in Japan in 1/16 increments . E-Bay for $150.00 NEW. i guess i did good. like you guys i'd send them back. the importer probably proffited $1000.00 on the set!!

Yup. Just another sad story about the corporate thieves raping and pillaging a once respected name.