What's new
What's new

m-cards (material cards) for machined parts?

cgrim3

Cast Iron
Hi all,

This is a first for me. We started doing work for a DOD contractor about 6 months ago and they started sending us M-cards. Short for material cards. They specifically list who we can buy material from for each specific job. Granted, I know the US government is trying to buy all material made here in the states. But seriously?

I have material on the shelf with certs that I can use. I bought from the material vendors we always use, but because of this issue, I have to buy new material from one of their "approved" vendors.

I understand the reasoning behind it. I understand if it's an aircraft or submarine part or something that really matters this is important. But I'm making fixtures and tooling for them. It's a little overboard if you ask me.

Any thoughts or experiences with this? I am sure the ISO 9001 and AS9100 shops have dealt with this plenty of times but this is our first. We mostly cater to the chemical processing and pharma industries and have never experienced this

China is trying to OWN us. And in large measure, they are succeeding.

Just what would you do?

Perhaps you better learn to speak, read, and write Chinese.

PS: The real reasons behind this are COMPLETELY POLITICAL so it is not possible to have a real conversation about it without it becoming political. Perhaps it should just be shut down right from the beginning.

China is trying to OWN us. And in large measure, they are succeeding.

Just what would you do?

Perhaps you better learn to speak, read, and write Chinese.

PS: The real reasons behind this are COMPLETELY POLITICAL so it is not possible to have a real conversation about it without it becoming political. Perhaps it should just be shut down right from the beginning.

I agree with you. Except all the vendors they want us (our two man shop) to buy from are these large corporations on the NYSE, like they want us to buy directly from US steel corporation. Pain in the butt....but like I said, I understand why they do it

Back