What's new
What's new

Machinable removable bondo

donleybill

Plastic
I have 2" X 3" X 28" rough ornate iron casting that needs to be machined around the periphery. The best surface to locate this part for machining is on the ornate side which is anything but flat.
My thought was to spread over the ornate side of the casting with an auto body bondo and parting agent. Once the material cures, it would machined flat and become the primary datum for all other milling operations. After machining, the "autobody bondo" would be come off clean with the help of a parting compound.
A life time ago I used a material called Tooling Stone. I fabricated to a simple drill jig with tooling stone to accurately locate a Cadillac badge onto a hub cap.
This material was easy to apply, didn't srink, machined fairly well and worked with a parting agent.
Today I can't find Tooling Stone and hopefully someone has a better material suggestions than auto bondo. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
This is one of two castings for model engine project.
Bill

For just two parts, that I assume you will be painting after you complete the machining, you might think about prepping both parts at the same time instead of trying to reuse a single mold. Whatever time you are trying to save, will be negated if you aren't successful in removing the mold from the first part. If the castings are to be coated, you should probably plan on blasting them anyway, so I wouldn't worry much about the mold release issue. Using plaster or bondo, you should be able to remove most of it with some tapping from a small hammer.

I have 2" X 3" X 28" rough ornate iron casting that needs to be machined around the periphery. The best surface to locate this part for machining is on the ornate side which is anything but flat.
My thought was to spread over the ornate side of the casting with an auto body bondo and parting agent. Once the material cures, it would machined flat and become the primary datum for all other milling operations. After machining, the "autobody bondo" would be come off clean with the help of a parting compound.
A life time ago I used a material called Tooling Stone. I fabricated to a simple drill jig with tooling stone to accurately locate a Cadillac badge onto a hub cap.
This material was easy to apply, didn't srink, machined fairly well and worked with a parting agent.
Today I can't find Tooling Stone and hopefully someone has a better material suggestions than auto bondo. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
This is one of two castings for model engine project.
Bill

Gawds sake NOT "Bondo" it actual tries to - wudyah believe "bond"!

Use Plaster of Paris. It comes off lots of easy ways. Heat-shock of dropping the hot castings and plaster into water was the low-effort one.

Residue down in the fine details? No need to chase-up tediously with a sewing-machine needle.

Ignorant household white vinegar and its gone real soon, now. Warm it up, speed it up. Don't breathe the fumes, but dilute Acetic acid is otherwise "food grade".

Your pickles come in vinegar. Well... the shy ones might just hold hands..

:)

Anyway, no disposal issues.

Hey Thermite...if Russia attacked Turkey from the rear, would Greece help?

Present state of affairs in the government of the RF? The Turks are safe as houses.

Roosha would never reach the point of entry.

Security by obscurity.

All turkey assholes looking much alike, they'd die of exhaustion before ever making it out of their own command bunker.

Read Sorokin. Not entirely futuristic:

Day of the Oprichnik: A Novel: Vladimir Sorokin, Jamey Gambrell: 97837453316: Amazon.com: Books

"Warning" herein. Life has gone as grotesque as fiction:

Day of the Oprichnik - Wikipedia

PS: Assistant Professor of Air Science who had served there pointed out that the Turks had been at war with Russia thirteen times in recorded history, and only lost nine of those wars.

Which a Turk considers rather favourable odds for another go at any time. Worst outcome is the rus go thought them and then have to deal with the Kurds. That should keep them busy the next thousand years.

You'd have to know the Turks. And the Kurds. Or just ask an Armenian. More to it than dried Apricots.

Dang! Thanks for letting me know, I just swatted it away.

BTW, nothing wrong with a little radioactivity, living in NH means we can go on radon parties on neighboring states.

I recall a classmate ....half a century ago ... as we were all taking a break to head home for the holidays - he to Californicyha - his eyes were lighting up in anticipation of something he described as a "Wesson Oil Party".

Naturally, naif that it was at the time, I just HAD to ask...

I shall be just as happy now to NOT ask what constitutes a radon party, lest they come soliciting my vote and donations for yet-another political figure that believes himself to glow in the dark!

I shall be just as happy now to NOT ask what constitutes a radon party, lest they come soliciting my vote and donations for yet-another political figure that believes himself to glow in the dark!

Sort of like this .....?

Attachments

• MGG-2016-03-31.jpg
    MGG-2016-03-31.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 98

Back