What's new
What's new

Machine auction results

SBAER

Hot Rolled
I witnessed a live/online auction north of toronto today. I'd say the market for used machinery is pretty soft. The prices are in $US and they were the final bid.boring mill2.jpgstanko lathe.jpgtos cnc bedmill.jpgboring mill.jpg

I guess there is so much cheap money that old equipment is not worth the hassle.
The small stuff was not as cheap but cheaper than I have seen since 2008/2009.

Stan

not much utility in that old big crap. barely scrap value, though.

Yeah, the closing bids seem cheap (although thats even debatable considering how worn out those may be), but the bigger factor is how much is the rigging cost for those machines? Plenty of auctions where you need to have a licensed/insured rigger or even a specific company pick up lots. Plus schedule/access constraints that can drive up the cost more. In the CNC section there is a thread right now where someone bought an old machine for cheap and is now looking at having to demolish walls at the seller's facility to get it out! Some rigging companies won't even touch it.

I think the rigging costs of large old iron drive the price down, just an opinion.

I witnessed a live/online auction north of toronto today. I'd say the market for used machinery is pretty soft. The prices are in $US and they were the final bid.View attachment 318495View attachment 318494View attachment 318493View attachment 318496

I guess there is so much cheap money that old equipment is not worth the hassle.
The small stuff was not as cheap but cheaper than I have seen since 2008/2009.

Stan

Those old dinosaurs don't bring much unless you have a fabrication shop or you do large castings or forgings. On the other hand, even 80s and 90s regular CNC lathes and mills can still fetch a few dollars if decent condition and clean.

I watched a modern CNC shop with some big stuff in Houston today, and thought they did pretty well on the sale.

I guess it wasnt horrible compared to new to buying new, but still out of reach for me. VBM was 250k, HBM was 150K, bigger Haas machines all around 100k. Nothing older than 2005. Plus 18% buyer premium.

Yeah, the closing bids seem cheap (although thats even debatable considering how worn out those may be), but the bigger factor is how much is the rigging cost for those machines? Plenty of auctions where you need to have a licensed/insured rigger or even a specific company pick up lots. Plus schedule/access constraints that can drive up the cost more. In the CNC section there is a thread right now where someone bought an old machine for cheap and is now looking at having to demolish walls at the seller's facility to get it out! Some rigging companies won't even touch it.

LOL, I had to take an overhead door and header out to remove my Lucas on an auction. Seller didnt care about the building so I got up there and unscrewed the tin, and the rigger ran the forklift thru the header. After we left, local carpenter boarded it up.

When they dont mention the door isnt big enough, and you are standing there with 2 semis, 2 goosenecks, 60k forklift, and 6 guys, they weren't in much of a position to tell us to go home and come back another day.

That manual lathe sounds about right. The middle bed mill seems high. The last one seems like a real good deal if it's in working shape.

Prices are all over the place right now.

recently, I have looked at some older 400mm HMC's in the $20k range that were way overpriced and unwilling to budge. Have been offered a half million dollar 600MM Makino HMC in pristine condition, just came out of $200,000 "refresh" to get all 5 axis with scales back into tenths realm for $3500, I've looked at a few older VMC's and just bought a nice smaller Japanese VMC today for what I'd consider cheap for a turnkey moneymaker.

Lots of uncertainty out there.

What really POs me is auctions with all sorts of costly conditions,where the scrappies get in after final pickup and do all sorts of damage to floors and structure without any penalty.

What really POs me is auctions with all sorts of costly conditions,where the scrappies get in after final pickup and do all sorts of damage to floors and structure without any penalty.

I was dealing with a company recently that downsized with a big auction. The contract they had with the auction co forbid them from selling anything of theirs without going through the auction co for 3 months after the auction ended. The only exception was scrap metal.

Interestingly, they agreed with me when I suggested all the machines I wanted to buy were most definitely scrap.

Back