What's new
What's new

Machine hoarding and efficient use of space

legoboy

Hot Rolled
I have come to accept that I suffer from this condition.. I don't seem to have this problem in the house only in the shop. I am willing to accept the fact that I have a problem but it does have its issues. So here is my present dilemma, I am trying to shoehorn yet another machine in my shop and l need to do the machine shuffle. So this becomes a matter of the most efficient use of space. So after anylizing my space a realized that I have organized my shop like a conventional machine shop where every machine has it's own operator space. Well I am a one man shop so I don't need to have room for multiple operators at the same time. So going on that premise my current dilemma is to try and fit 3 tool room lathes in way that will utilize the least amount of floor space. The lathes are all approximately 2' by 6' and I do not want to empede the bore of the spindle incase I need to swing something long. I do mostly machining of wood so I am not that worried about the chips. I have dust extraction and I may build partitions if one lathe backs onto another. So to summarize for those who have dealt with this before what have you found to be the most effect way to organize multiple lathes in a small shop?

Probably all the lathes don't need the long exposure on the out end of the spindle, so just arrange one to use on the long work. You could also perhaps have a hole through the wall to load the long part through.

I like two lathes arranged with the operator side in the center space, with a narrow (24" x 72" as an example) work bench/tool table in between for either operator position to share. This table could be on wheels if you like.

Anytime I run into this, I get some big cardboard and make 1 inch to 1 foot scale 2d models and one of the floorplan as the cardboard ones are easy to move with a glass of wine in one hand and I keep moving them around until I like it.

If you can line up your spindle with a window or door that may help also. Just schedule your work so those jobs are done spring and fall when the weather's nice. ;)

I am getting ready to face this dilemma, my new shop is 12' wide x 90' long, with a 20'wide x 10'deep bump out about in the middle of 1 side. Walls are concrete, so going thru walls is not an option. My basic plan is to put lathes and mills at far end, grinding machines/bead blaster/compressor in center, and welding/torching/grinding equipment at the end with the door. Maybe add some dividers once it is all in place.

I'm not lucky enough to have this problem, but I can imagine having all the machines tied up at once, so would want easy access to all of them, just as if there were multiple operators. I wouldn't want to be tightly trapped between machines just so I could reach two from the same spot. A common arrangement is/was to have multiple lathes parallel to each other, but offset, so oil and flying parts from one wouldn't hit the operator of another. If you have a short wall, that arrangement works nice with the tailstocks towards the wall and the headstocks towards the room, with all the lathes at an angle to the wall.

If you have a short wall, that arrangement works nice with the tailstocks towards the wall and the headstocks towards the room, with all the lathes at an angle to the wall.

Other way 'round, mebbe?

Spindle bore toward the aisle in case of need to work off bar stock that wants an outboard support, TS end to the wall.

Seen lots of long stock come off the tooled-end shorter. Never seen a lathe that made short stock longer, possible exception of those specialized ones a glassworker might use.

Or really loooong shafts, TS-end in a steady. Or two. Best to have BOTH with an aisle?

Depends on your shop's needs..

:)

what have you found to be the most effect way to organize multiple lathes in a small shop?

I had 2 17X80 lathes back to back with about 2' between them. That allowed me to put garbage cans and small crates and skids between the lathes, easy to retrieve and easy to move out when we needed to get behind the lathes to clean them. I really like having access to the rear of a lathe to clean and adjust the taper attachment or the Z DRO scale etc. When back to back one machine throws the chips at the tailstock of the other, not the chuck.
My most used lathe has a Vidmar right at the headstock - but I can move it in a minute with a pallet jack (short and narrow pallet jack) if I need access to the bore or the end of the machine for maintenance.

I also tried putting bridgeports backed up to a lathe with a chip shield(Colchester style) and hanging collet racks and etc on the back of the chipshield, with the bridgeport rams hanging over the back of the lathe. In a small shop think in 3D, move things upward for more capacity, and think in non-rectilinear patterns, hardly any of my machines or benches are at 90° or parallel. Also think of pallets under things and wheels under things. I put my vertical saw right behind the operator of one lathe temporarily, the table makes a dandy work surface for measuring tools and such so it stayed.

I had 2 17X80 lathes back to back with about 2' between them. That allowed me to put garbage cans and small crates and skids between the lathes, easy to retrieve and easy to move out when we needed to get behind the lathes to clean them. I really like having access to the rear of a lathe to clean and adjust the taper attachment or the Z DRO scale etc. When back to back one machine throws the chips at the tailstock of the other, not the chuck.
My most used lathe has a Vidmar right at the headstock - but I can move it in a minute with a pallet jack (short and narrow pallet jack) if I need access to the bore or the end of the machine for maintenance.

I also tried putting bridgeports backed up to a lathe with a chip shield(Colchester style) and hanging collet racks and etc on the back of the chipshield, with the bridgeport rams hanging over the back of the lathe. In a small shop think in 3D, move things upward for more capacity, and think in non-rectilinear patterns, hardly any of my machines or benches are at 90° or parallel. Also think of pallets under things and wheels under things. I put my vertical saw right behind the operator of one lathe temporarily, the table makes a dandy work surface for measuring tools and such so it stayed.
Do you think it would work to put two Deckel Nc's back to back and almost side by side so as the end of one machine is beside the end of the other machine. So long as the the Y axis are not in line and you still have room to access the side panels. The control cabinet would be a bit of a challenge.

It sure should. I had 2 Wells Indexes placed like that and it worked well. If flying chip control is an issue you can build folding Chinese screens out of 1/2' plywood and short sections of piano hinge.

I am doing what you suggest in your original post. I have my Lagun and two lathes sharing the same "operator space". Same thing with a vertical bandsaw, surface grinder and another mill in a different part of my shop. Same thing for my two full size CNC's, one a VMC the other a TC. 30k lbs of machine with 6' between them. So three standing spots, eight machines.

This ONLY works because I am a one man shop. If there were other people trying to work or even move through the space it would be a nightmare. As it is I only ever have to worry about backing up and impaling myself on a handle sticking out of the machine behind me.

Yeah, ok just bolt some wheels on my 10,000LB lathe. How ya gonna push it around?

Heaviest I have is just over half that - 5205 or so. I use a canoe paddle length - but thicker - hardwood pry bar to inch it along on Northern's skates. Same again with the 4,400 lb drillpress.

With a superb floor and good skates, all the 3500 lb and lesser can be pushed about by hand.

Heaviest I have is just over half that - 5205 or so. I use a canoe paddle length - but thicker - hardwood pry bar to inch it along on Northern's skates. Same again with the 4,400 lb drillpress.

With a superb floor and good skates, all the 3500 lb and lesser can be pushed about by hand.
I have a foggy memory of you saying most tools you have are on wheels and get rolled out into a useable space as needed?

Back