What's new
What's new

machine moving. Rigging, shipping

mwjakel

Plastic
Hello All,

Please help! I could use some advise.

I have been looking at several used lathes. This particular one (leblond Regal 13x30)2740 lbs. i have my eye on is in the mid-west. as much as Id like to take a road trip across the country I just can't get alway to do that. Does anyone have suggestions or know of a company that can REASONABLY load and transport machinery? There is no forklift at the origin. There is a rental yard close by. I will have forklift avail at my place. i live in Sacramento, CA and the lathe is in Kentucky. If i can't move this for under a grand then I most likely wont be able to do the deal. I contracted one outfit and they quoted me $3,800 thats a no go for me.
any help is greatly appreciated.

thank you

Mike

Unlikely you can move it for a $1000, trucking alone will eat up most of your budget!
You didn't say what obstacles there are to get the machine out of the building......makes a huge difference in price?
Most pick and load prices from riggers for lathes at auction can be anywhere from $100-$500 cash?

Kevin

No point buying a lathe if you can't move it, power it and house it.What I did at first was to buy a lathe locally that I could move. Wound up with a SB9.

Long distance and cheap is usually a no go for machine tools. This is a job for you or someone you know like a friend. If that won't work you are probably better off to find one local. There are plenty of lathes on the west coast.

Moving heavy machinery is a lost skill and the people that do it overcharge for it. I never buy a machine that I can not move it myself. With that said a 2500 lb machine is not a biggy, but 3000mi away is... find one closer to home that you can inspect...Phil

Kentucky to California for 1K ain't going to happen, not sure it would even cover the fuel cost. I got a quote a month ago to move a mill from SF to Reno for 4k, I ended up hauling it myself, between trailer rental and fuel it cost me about 1k.

You can probably get it moved for a grand via LTL flatbed, but unless the seller is throwing in loading, there's no way in the world you're getting it loaded and moved for a grand.

If you're trying to get loaded and moved by the same outfit, pull out the wallet - riggers aren't going to be the low cost hauling option.

Would seller load if you paid the forklift rental?

If i can't move this for under a grand then I most likely wont be able to do the deal. I contracted one outfit and they quoted me $3,800 thats a no go for me.

My DIY moves average over $2,000.

- The cheap ones are same day out and back, no lodging, local Diesel rental.
About $1,500, far-end loaded by seller FL or locally arranged auto-wrecker call-out and his hook. I rent a FL at my end.

- More often it's one-way air to pick up a Penske one-way drop rental, buy timber, saws, and fasteners locally to prep the load. There can be as many as three overnights, for which one plans at least three "possibles" by checking sat shots to insure they have parking, ingress, and egress layout suited to easy handling of the big air-suspension Penske cornbinder.

- Costliest about a thousand miles one-way and $4,000

I might do that for a BRAND NEW LeBlond "Regal".

I couldn't be bothered to move a used "Regal" even 20 feet. Heavy Duty or not a LeBlond, thanks.

You are better-off to pay more, closer -- so as to get more of the spend into a heavier, better lathe, and less of the spend into the freight & rigging.

Last edited:
A warning with hire vans ......machines damage alloy floors if not covered in rubber sheets (old conveyor belt) ,and vans dont have good tie points ........My one ton pickup is legal with 1300kg on the deck ,and another 2000kg on a tandem trailer....and it would easily get 20 mpg towing all that.

A warning with hire vans ......machines damage alloy floors if not covered in rubber sheets (old conveyor belt) ,and vans dont have good tie points ........My one ton pickup is legal with 1300kg on the deck ,and another 2000kg on a tandem trailer....and it would easily get 20 mpg towing all that.
When I moved my lathe I bought a piece of thick plywood for the rental pick up truck bed to help spread the load. I returned it for full refund a few days latter. Almost lost the refund when oil was dripping out of the apron. A rag caught it in time before it dripped onto the ply.
BilL D

You can easily move that on a single axle drop deck trailer. Skate it out, roll it onto the trailer, chain down and go. No forklifts or cranes required. I moved my entire shop like that last year.

But 3000 miles? No way. Find something local. Rigging charges will exceed the value of the lathe. If you try to cheap it out, odds are something will get broken along the way.

Cheaper to buy a lathe with me then :D
I shipped a Deckel FP3 1750 kg from the Netherlands to Denver bonded warehouse for a bit under €1700,- That includes loading onto the customers transport
And although the marshall help moved a lott to europe we do not have much of that old US iron anymore All scrapped by now

Peter

In the FWIW department, I was looking through threads in the Monarch forum and found mention of one person who traveled 4000 miles to pick up his lathe.

For a 1000ee maybe, not for a Regal :D

When I sold a machine and the buyer turned up with a van ,I wasnt a happy chappie .....two cranes and a forklift ,how do you get a 2 ton machine in a damn van..........4 ton truck with a steel tray ,is what I want to see .

how do you get a 2 ton machine in a damn van..........
Easy peasy, knock together a cheapy pallet, bolt that lightweight to it, pop it into the van with a forklift then move it where you want with a pallet jack. If you're too cheap to have a pallet jack, just shove it with the forks. 2 tons, what's the problem, that's about shopsmith size.

Back