State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default machine moving. Rigging, shipping

Hello All,

Please help! I could use some advise.

I have been looking at several used lathes. This particular one (leblond Regal 13x30)2740 lbs. i have my eye on is in the mid-west. as much as Id like to take a road trip across the country I just can't get alway to do that. Does anyone have suggestions or know of a company that can REASONABLY load and transport machinery? There is no forklift at the origin. There is a rental yard close by. I will have forklift avail at my place. i live in Sacramento, CA and the lathe is in Kentucky. If i can't move this for under a grand then I most likely wont be able to do the deal. I contracted one outfit and they quoted me $3,800 thats a no go for me.
    any help is greatly appreciated.

thank you

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unlikely you can move it for a $1000, trucking alone will eat up most of your budget!
    You didn't say what obstacles there are to get the machine out of the building......makes a huge difference in price?
    Most pick and load prices from riggers for lathes at auction can be anywhere from $100-$500 cash?

Kevin

3. Likes mwjakel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No point buying a lathe if you can't move it, power it and house it.What I did at first was to buy a lathe locally that I could move. Wound up with a SB9.

5. Likes mwjakel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Long distance and cheap is usually a no go for machine tools. This is a job for you or someone you know like a friend. If that won't work you are probably better off to find one local. There are plenty of lathes on the west coast.

7. Likes mwjakel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Moving heavy machinery is a lost skill and the people that do it overcharge for it. I never buy a machine that I can not move it myself. With that said a 2500 lb machine is not a biggy, but 3000mi away is... find one closer to home that you can inspect...Phil

9. Likes mwjakel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kentucky to California for 1K ain't going to happen, not sure it would even cover the fuel cost. I got a quote a month ago to move a mill from SF to Reno for 4k, I ended up hauling it myself, between trailer rental and fuel it cost me about 1k.

11. Likes Hardplates, mwjakel liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just paid 1K to have a machine moved 60ish miles and though it was a steal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can probably get it moved for a grand via LTL flatbed, but unless the seller is throwing in loading, there's no way in the world you're getting it loaded and moved for a grand.

If you're trying to get loaded and moved by the same outfit, pull out the wallet - riggers aren't going to be the low cost hauling option.

Would seller load if you paid the forklift rental?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mwjakel View Post
    If i can't move this for under a grand then I most likely wont be able to do the deal. I contracted one outfit and they quoted me $3,800 thats a no go for me.
    My DIY moves average over $2,000.

- The cheap ones are same day out and back, no lodging, local Diesel rental.
    About $1,500, far-end loaded by seller FL or locally arranged auto-wrecker call-out and his hook. I rent a FL at my end.

- More often it's one-way air to pick up a Penske one-way drop rental, buy timber, saws, and fasteners locally to prep the load. There can be as many as three overnights, for which one plans at least three "possibles" by checking sat shots to insure they have parking, ingress, and egress layout suited to easy handling of the big air-suspension Penske cornbinder.

- Costliest about a thousand miles one-way and $4,000

I might do that for a BRAND NEW LeBlond "Regal".

I couldn't be bothered to move a used "Regal" even 20 feet. Heavy Duty or not a LeBlond, thanks.

You are better-off to pay more, closer -- so as to get more of the spend into a heavier, better lathe, and less of the spend into the freight & rigging.
    Last edited by thermite; 10-22-2020 at 05:51 AM.

15. Likes 310 Guy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"I couldn't be bothered to move a used "Regal" even 20 feet. Heavy Duty or not a LeBlond, thanks."

You couldnt move an Atlas 618, because you are an incompetent troll. And, the forums bullshitter.