What's new
What's new

machine nuts

Does anyone know where I can buy a 9/16 machine nut. These nuts have a tight tolerance. Thanks Craig

First, read-up on "classes of fit". Be aware the mating parts may not be identical as to class - there can be combinations:

Can you explain "Thread Class"? - MW Industries ASM

Only after you are clear which pairing you need will searching reduce risk of disappointment.

Might be wise to purchase more than one example and try them.

In this size, that should be cheaper than trying to get measuring gear onto the goods - then probably still getting it wrong!

:)

PS: Loctite exists.

Does anyone know where I can buy a 9/16 machine nut. These nuts have a tight tolerance. Thanks Craig

A question that vague might easily be asking about nuts that require a precisely sized 9/16" wrench. Seems like the pitch would be mentioned if the thread diameter was meant. Or maybe he does not know about pitches.

Larry

I think the question is valid. Look at the nuts, and bolts, on any pre 1970 machine tool. They typically have a washer face, a slightly domed top, and they look like they were turned on a screw machine rather than punched out in a single wack like generic Home Depot hardware. I do not know where to buy hardware like that. McMaster doesn’t have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the question is valid. Look at the nuts, and bolts, on any pre 1970 machine tool. They typically have a washer face, a slightly domed top, and they look like they were turned on a screw machine rather than punched out in a single wack like generic Home Depot hardware. I do not know where to buy hardware like that. McMaster doesn’t have it.

The flange nuts used for clamping, which are available from McMaster, would seem like an option. 9/16 is not available ( in this style) but you could go oversize and install a insert. I’ve made acme clamping nuts this way.

Take a standard hex nut, thread it onto a freshly machine cut thread with a tight fit to hold it with out turning. Face off slightly to square it up to the thread, and take a slight cut to create the washer effect on the nut and you have a machine hex nut. I remember doing this a time or two over the years, it works!
BTW- if you need some 9/16- 18 fine thread nuts, I have about 40 of them here I'll be gladly to sell you for what I have tied up in them. They are standard zinc plated but are not "machined" hex nuts, but I can fix that for you too if you like. Ken

"BTW- if you need some 9/16- 18 fine thread nuts,"

I hope the OP doesn't need 9/16-18 coarse thread nuts. Guess he'd be SOL.

The best supplier for hard ware that I have found is Midstates. They seem so be able to find anything and usually have it in stock somewhere. Hightly recommended

Back