What's new
What's new

Machine transpot help needed: Canada to US

AlfaGTA

Diamond
Bought a machine from Canadian Govt auction.
Have arranged for a Rigger to remove the machine and load on truck for transport to the US (West Coast)

Machine is located in Ottawa...Total package (2pcs) 6000# (Deckel Mill with electrical cabinet)
Looking for help locating a reliable shipper, would prefer someone form Canada
Any help and advice greatly appreciated.....
Cheers Ross

The problem I've found is that trucking is very regional. I guess with a country this size, slicing up your piece was top priority. At any rate, I've had good success with Canadian Freightways with cross-Canada shipping. As someone who doesn't use freight services much, they were competitive price-wise, and more importantly to me,someone answered the phone at both the sending,and receiving terminals. Important to me,when shipping 3 tons of lathe. My 2 cents.

Last time I bid on machinery in Canada I contacted Somersetlogistics and had a quote in hand before bidding. Gather all the inf. and try Ian there-- he's been moving machines for years as a broker. [email protected]

Ross,
Here's another company I used and had great luck with......I know they are in Montreal on a daily basis. I'm unsure how far they will travel in the states, might be worth a call?

Droh Inc.
670 Industrial Rd
Cambridge
ON N3H 4V9
Phone: (519) 653-1034

Kevin

Many of the major U.S. trucking companies have large branch offices in Canada, Ryder Canada for instance; I just used Conway to move some equipment North, they were very helpful however I understand they were just bought out by someone. Do you have a broker lined up? Will this go in a full crate or just on a skid, because for sure this will be cross-docked several times.

Dan

Many of the major U.S. trucking companies have large branch offices in Canada, Ryder Canada for instance; I just used Conway to move some equipment North, they were very helpful however I understand they were just bought out by someone. Do you have a broker lined up? Will this go in a full crate or just on a skid, because for sure this will be cross-docked several times.

Dan

I don't think Ross is going to ship common carrier......that would be huge mistake and sure to get damaged with no recourse!

Best bet, LTL flatbed and tarped, you get ten feet of truck and 10,000 lbs......stays on the same truck the whole time, the only drawback, not the quickest.

Kevin

I don't think Ross is going to ship common carrier......that would be huge mistake and sure to get damaged with no recourse!

Best bet, LTL flatbed and tarped, you get ten feet of truck and 10,000 lbs......stays on the same truck the whole time, the only drawback, not the quickest.

Kevin
Normally I would agree but I have sold some machines to Canada where the enclosed Canadian truck that arrived was well equipped with E Track on the sidewalls and floor for strapping and also had E Track shoring beams. Maybe that was just a fluke but gives me the impression that perhaps the frozen north trucking companies may be more used to having to protect their cargo (pesky salt on roads for example) with enclosed trailers while keeping it from moving about in there. Of course the ideal is a Conestoga covered flatbed but they are sometimes hard to come by.

I am in Canada and am really careful buying big stuff from GC Surplus. Some locations are ok some more than useless. I use Manitoulin but don't know if they go to the US. I saw that mill and did not bid because of logistic complications figure it would be $2k at least to get it here. Good luck!
Bob

Back