Machine transpot help needed: Canada to US
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Machine transpot help needed: Canada to US

Bought a machine from Canadian Govt auction.
    Have arranged for a Rigger to remove the machine and load on truck for transport to the US (West Coast)

Machine is located in Ottawa...Total package (2pcs) 6000# (Deckel Mill with electrical cabinet)
    Looking for help locating a reliable shipper, would prefer someone form Canada
    Any help and advice greatly appreciated.....
    Cheers Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

C'on Canadian members.....one of you has to have some trucker leads...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The problem I've found is that trucking is very regional. I guess with a country this size, slicing up your piece was top priority. At any rate, I've had good success with Canadian Freightways with cross-Canada shipping. As someone who doesn't use freight services much, they were competitive price-wise, and more importantly to me,someone answered the phone at both the sending,and receiving terminals. Important to me,when shipping 3 tons of lathe. My 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last time I bid on machinery in Canada I contacted Somersetlogistics and had a quote in hand before bidding. Gather all the inf. and try Ian there-- he's been moving machines for years as a broker. [email protected]

5. Likes digger doug, Milacron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by danil View Post
    Last time I bid on machinery in Canada I contacted Somersetlogistics and had a quote in hand before bidding. Gather all the inf. and try Ian there-- he's been moving machines for years as a broker. [email protected]
    I have never used Somerset for Canadian shipments, just stateside, would recommend them highly as well.

Kevin

7. Likes SIP6A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ross,
    Here's another company I used and had great luck with......I know they are in Montreal on a daily basis. I'm unsure how far they will travel in the states, might be worth a call?

Droh Inc.
    670 Industrial Rd
    Cambridge
    ON N3H 4V9
    Phone: (519) 653-1034

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many of the major U.S. trucking companies have large branch offices in Canada, Ryder Canada for instance; I just used Conway to move some equipment North, they were very helpful however I understand they were just bought out by someone. Do you have a broker lined up? Will this go in a full crate or just on a skid, because for sure this will be cross-docked several times.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ2 View Post
    Many of the major U.S. trucking companies have large branch offices in Canada, Ryder Canada for instance; I just used Conway to move some equipment North, they were very helpful however I understand they were just bought out by someone. Do you have a broker lined up? Will this go in a full crate or just on a skid, because for sure this will be cross-docked several times.

Dan
    I don't think Ross is going to ship common carrier......that would be huge mistake and sure to get damaged with no recourse!

Best bet, LTL flatbed and tarped, you get ten feet of truck and 10,000 lbs......stays on the same truck the whole time, the only drawback, not the quickest.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bsg View Post
    I don't think Ross is going to ship common carrier......that would be huge mistake and sure to get damaged with no recourse!

Best bet, LTL flatbed and tarped, you get ten feet of truck and 10,000 lbs......stays on the same truck the whole time, the only drawback, not the quickest.

Kevin
    Normally I would agree but I have sold some machines to Canada where the enclosed Canadian truck that arrived was well equipped with E Track on the sidewalls and floor for strapping and also had E Track shoring beams. Maybe that was just a fluke but gives me the impression that perhaps the frozen north trucking companies may be more used to having to protect their cargo (pesky salt on roads for example) with enclosed trailers while keeping it from moving about in there. Of course the ideal is a Conestoga covered flatbed but they are sometimes hard to come by.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am in Canada and am really careful buying big stuff from GC Surplus. Some locations are ok some more than useless. I use Manitoulin but don't know if they go to the US. I saw that mill and did not bid because of logistic complications figure it would be $2k at least to get it here. Good luck!
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just be sure you have source to destination insurance in place that covers it properly from where it is now to where it is going....landed and on the ground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk