What's new
What's new

ER32 tapping collets, why so pricey?

draganm

Aluminum
Finally deciding, after so many decades, to get some proper tapping Collets (the ones with the little square in the bottom). Why are they so expensive?
you can get a nice high quality ER32 Collet for like 20 bucks, add the word "tapping" and it goes up anywhere from $70. to as high as $110. for ONE Collet? :( This is for a standard rigid-tapping style Collet for use in a CNC, not the ones with radial movement (compensation), springs,ball-bearings,etc.
Any sweet deals to be had?
Would even consider a complete system with Collet set and Cat 40 holder if it's the best way to go

I would think that there's a lot more involved in making a round + square collet than a regular collet. Also, not nearly the economy of scale that you can get with round collets.

Regards.

Mike

(the ones with the little square in the bottom
That IIRC is the problem.

Not like you can make up blanks and then finish bore to customer required sizes as needed.

So make some yourself if you think you can cheaper.....:skep:

Save your money. You dont need them ( in most cases).
They are oversold by people trying to make a buck. A 8-32 tap collet is a joke. A standard round ER collet no matter what series is more than strong enough to drive it. I hold a 5/8-11 tap while tapping 8620 alloy steel and never ever had it slip.

Yes some taps have funny shank sizes, like .255 round for 1/4-20. This is why I sell ER collets in 64th sizes.

Don't get me wrong. Tapping colles have there uses. form tapping 3/4-16 in stainless. Better use a tapping collet for sure!!! But 1/2-13 tap in alum, use a standard round collet. Dont sweat it. Just my 2 cents.

Save your money. You dont need them ( in most cases).
They are oversold by people trying to make a buck. A 8-32 tap collet is a joke. Yes some taps have funny shank sizes, like .255 round for 1/4-20. This is why I sell ER collets in 64th sizes.
i agree, you'll snap the 8-32, or even the #10 tap, long before the standard ER slips. What's annoying is the collet ranges vs tap sizes as you mentioned. My collets go .160" to .200", and my 8-32 tap is .167, so wind up really cranking that collet down.
I think just getting some more sizes in between like you mentioned makes more sense than buying expensive ones with square holes,

I've actually bought from you before, i'll check your web-site

I suckered in and bought some (up to driving 1" taps). I think they were powder metallurgy sintered forms. Anyways, i dropped one on the floor and it broke very easily. Because I'm a tough guy, I didn't cry, I just swore a line or two. ;)

Funny I' have Frank's site open right now to look at tap collets and saw this. I never used them until I worked with some guys who insisted on them. I just stopped using ER16 for any tapping (ER25 or ER32 only) and no problems since.

I second what Frank Mari posted. For the most part the standard round collet works great. Depending upon the size, type, pitch and material being tapped it becomes more critical. I am working on a production set up that has 1/2" and 3/4" NPT taps. Using Tap collets for those for sure.

I second what Frank Mari posted. For the most part the standard round collet works great. Depending upon the size, type, pitch and material being tapped it becomes more critical. I am working on a production set up that has 1/2" and 3/4" NPT taps. Using Tap collets for those for sure.

+1 on the NPT and NPTF taps. They use up a lot of torque. 1/8 and 1/4 not so much. But 3/8 and up wouldn't be a bad idea to use a tap collet.

I agree the cost is high but do do understand why.
I got tired of spinning taps (3/8 and above) so I got some they are great would not go back

I hate to give my secrets away but you may look at this web site Sun Coast Precision Tools. They have Sowa ER-32 tap collets for under $35.00. I have used these with good results.

Back