What's new
What's new

Machine wire question

Bluechipx

Hot Rolled
I bought a spool of 8/3 with ground wire and recieved it yesterday and I am puzzled by a Schrader valve attached to the end. Anybody?schrader.jpg

Spit balling here, so humor me.
wire is manufactured, sits, shipped, sits @ wholesaler, ships to distributors, sits.
A lot of time for moisture to enter an un capped wire end and creep up further. Cap the ends no contaminates can enter.
I cannot it sitting around long enough for the green death to make its way a siginifact way up. But what do I know? Food for thought:scratchchin:

Well, now I feel a little less ignorant, it doesn't look like there was an obvious answer. At some point I will see the other end but I can't think of what could be there that would clarify the issue. It seems to be on very tight, like it was made for the wire.

Conduit is not the only place where a cable is pulled. I can recall a whole day when I and several others PULLED a cable from the ground floor of an office building to the roof. It had to go through all kinds of spaces and for most of them we both pulled and pushed. And cussed! Floor after floor after floor..... And we used a whole container of the yellow stuff and started on a second one.

Why would you pull SO cord? Kind of defeats the intended purpose if you put it in conduit

Conduit is not the only place where a cable is pulled. I can recall a whole day when I and several others PULLED a cable from the ground floor of an office building to the roof. It had to go through all kinds of spaces and for most of them we both pulled and pushed. And cussed! Floor after floor after floor..... And we used a whole container of the yellow stuff and started on a second one.

My point was SO cord is most often used in accessible areas so I don't think that's what it was put on there for. Usually you use a Chinese finger to pull wire

My point was SO cord is most often used in accessible areas so I don't think that's what it was put on there for. Usually you use a Chinese finger to pull wire
Oh, I agree. Who would waste the money on SO cord if it's going inside a conduit. Not me.

The only person who knows is the person that put it on there. The fitting as an easy way to rig a telegraph line is the only thing that came to my mind when I saw that pic.

I've bought a lot of SO cord and never had a schrader valve attached, lol.

Most likely just a joke from the guys that sold the spool. Someone in the warehouse messing with the OP's head... :D

They purged it with Nitrogen to make sure it doesn't leak voltage...:eek: Back in the day, they did this to overhead telephone wire to dry out the moisture in the lines.

my uneducated guess would be that the wire is moisture rated and might have pumped in a di-electric grease to seal it. pull vacuum then put grease in it. or maybe just inert gas for storage

Back