What's new
What's new

machinery handwheel suppliers

anchorman

Titanium
Hi,

I have need of a hand wheel with 3/8" square opening with .3125" hole for a round shaft beyond that towards the front of the wheel. I'm not having any luck searching any of the obvious suppliers, nor with ye olde google search. The hand wheel I need to be about 2.5 to 3" diameter. Is there anywhere that sells bushings with internal square holes and a round exterior that one could braze into the hole of an off the shelf hand wheel?

Square hole steel bushings or sleeves are commonly used to make boring bars. The holes are available in sizes to fit standard ground lathe tool bits, so 3/8" is easy. Most machinist supply houses should stock them.

Note that they are made with one end threaded internally for an adjusting screw or with no thread.

Larry

use an old 3/8" drive socket and braze it in. Round on the outside 3/8" square on the inside.

brilliant! I don't normally think of tools as stock for building stuff, but this ought out work very well, and then any old wheel of the right size could be made to work. Short of finding a handwheel with the square recess on the back, this is probably my best bet for cheap and easy, while still having everything look professional.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Back