Machinery Pet Peeves

Spyderedge

Titanium
I'll start the ball rolling...

1. Leaving machinery outside

2. Leaving chuck keys in chucks

Emery cloth on the lathe...

Lack of lubrication

Edit: Turning handles annoys you ? Funny, i don't do it that much myself, but i always think of it as a good way of remembering the quirks of machines i rarely use and finding errors. I recently did some "handle fumbling" on a currently disused lathe and immediately found a problem which needs fixing. Actually....not just one.

hitting all the oil points on the mill (lever oiler next thing to buy!)

cranking the knee up and down and up and down and.....some low cost ideas floating around that one.....have a dro now so don't care about the graduated dial

1. The previous owner of my Millrite pumping a huge amount of grease into all of the fittings, instead of oil.

2. People at work breaking machines because they don't know how to use them properly, and then just leaving them that way for the next guy (usually me) to figure out and repair - often when I'm in a rush to get something done. I guess that's more of a people pet peave?

3. Mandatory POS safety guard on the drill press at work that always gets hung up in the middle of drilling something.

Drill pocks on tooling and machine tables. (I work with millwrights who have drilled the bottom out of the drill press vise, and tried to hole saw through the table) You should see the arc of shame on "their" drill press.

**MINOR RANT**
I had a guy who tried to drill out two broken studs with a hand drill motor (using the bench right next to the drill press), got the pilot hole way off center, then broke off an EZ out in one of them. Then he brings me the part and asks for ME to save the part for him.

Putting large drills in the tail stock ram without a lathe dog on them to reduce the torque on the ram's key. (Ever notice how small they are?)
Moving before wiping! (especially BP table bearing flats on bottom of table)
Running HSS tooling way too fast, or small drills too slow.

Foreign lathes that have the hand wheels for cross feed and longitudinal backwards - well that's easy enough to teach yourself to be ambidextrous with, but - the biggest pet peeve of mine is when the power feed lever is on the left of the apron, putting your body that much more in front of the danger zone, and showering your hand with hot chips when you go to disengage.

1. People who enjoy closing the jaws on a bench vise as tightly as they can when the vise is empty.

2. People who "assume" that the next user of a machine won't mind tearing the previous setup down and cleaning the machine.

3. People who will try to pile one more piece of trash on top of the pile in the trash can instead of emptying the can first.

4. Morons who can't figure out that their portable drill is running backwards and that's why they are destroying bits.

Any tool, that is not a hammer, being used as... a hammer.

12HF42_AS01.JPG

Idiots that use a cheater bar on the key to a 1 inch Jacobs chuck to tighten it "so the drill won't slip." The damn drill bit has been spun a dozen times and the jaws in the chuck are shot. FIX IT.

ANYONE that uses Silver and Deming drill bits for anything. A great way to destroy a drill chuck.

Idiots that use a cheater bar on a lathe chuck key.

"ANYONE that uses Silver and Deming drill bits for anything. A great way to destroy a drill chuck."

Been doing it in my own lathe for 10 years.Granted,not much production,mainly onesy,twosy stuff...but not being an Idiot goes a long way too!

When I read the title I figured it was complaining about machine builders.....so.....I am going to throw my complaint here....lol...It pisses me off that most machine builders put the LCD screen and the keyboard at a 90 degree angle to the floor....45ish would be so much better.

Tightening everything to like a thousand foot-pounds.

Chips embedded in collet bores. Blowing off machines, at full blast, with an unregulated air gun. Abrasives on lathes. My last carbide endmill hanging way too far out of the spindle with the flutes chipped and the guy wondering why the part's out of spec. Wrenches that live on hangers on their machine getting moved (lost). Material getting sawed at every angle except 90 degrees and precision bar stock bent. Probably a dozen more things.

Back