What's new
What's new

Machinerys Handbook Problem

bdrmachine

Aluminum
I gist received my new 30th edition large print MH. To my shock (not the one to my pocket book) it is missing numerous pages. Examples: 901-932 than at page 948 it skips back to 933 again. Has anyone else noticed this? Mine is getting returned!

I lucked out and got one of the Chinese copies also. Not only is it missing pages and jumping around, Half of the appendix is missing.

Hmm. Guess I better look at my new one a little more closely. Bought the 30th edition sometime around the end of the past year; last one I bought was 23rd edition, about 30 years ago, it seems. My new one is not the large-print version, though.

I lucked out and got one of the Chinese copies also. Not only is it missing pages and jumping around, Half of the appendix is missing.
Many, if not most, books are printed in China these days. I just grabbed a nice new Paddle to the Sea and it was "Printed in China". Nicely done, too.

Binding error does not mean it's a "cheap copy". These things happen. That's why rare book collectors have magazines and spend years searching for books with fuckups.

I don't think Machinery's Handbook is going on anyone's list of valuable editions tho :D

Probably 20 years ago a machinist @ work ordered a large print copy and it came with the cover on upside down . I don't know where he ordered it but they had him send it back and they replaced it.

I've got a machining textbook from the 1920's with a similar issue and another where one of the folded signatures never got its edges trimmed, so I had to slit the edges of the pages apart.

Looks like you've got two of one signature with the next one missing. They'll print a large sheet with sixteen pages on each side, arranged so the sheet can be folded in half four times, get three edges trimmed off, and yield 32 pages of text in the correct order and orientation. These sixteen page signatures are then assembled to create a book.

Sometimes it goes a awry.

Back