What's new
What's new

Machining bronze

Corn

Aluminum
Hi,

Is it ok to form tap following material? And for end mill I assume that same polished and sharp carbide tools are the best that are for Aluminium? Material in question: CuSn7Zn4Pb7 / CC493K / C93200 / SAE 660

Thank you in advance

You can form tap, but you might find it pushes the material around too much, if it were me I'd use a spiral tap.

Yes, tools made for aluminium will work for bronze, on the other hand inserts with bigger radii and chip breakers will do a fine job as well. I use .03 radius tools at work know bronze with no issue on id and od turning.

Oh that's the fun part!

Not when you're not only the one who has to clear them up, suffer the financial loss of ''lost scrap'' and dig the chips out of your skin hopefully before they fester ;)

P.S. FWIW ;- Any of the brasses and bronzes that get in in to my skin invariably fester / go bad etc etc

Not when you're not only the one who has to clear them up, suffer the financial loss of ''lost scrap'' and dig the chips out of your skin hopefully before they fester ;)

P.S. FWIW ;- Any of the brasses and bronzes that get in in to my skin invariably fester / go bad etc etc

Eh we don't save brass/bronze...I do save copper and put it in a lunch fund bag, I do the same with wolfram.

Hi,

Is it ok to form tap following material? And for end mill I assume that same polished and sharp carbide tools are the best that are for Aluminium? Material in question: CuSn7Zn4Pb7 / CC493K / C93200 / SAE 660

Thank you in advance

That specific grade isn't listed to have great ductility, form tapping may be a problem depending on the thread size / part geometry. Would be interesting to read if anyone actually succeed in practice.

Back