What's new
What's new

Machining replacement lead screw

CBudz

Plastic
Curious on if/how this would be done. From what I can tell, the lead screw is always longer than the carriage travel distance. Assuming there's no access or availability to lead screw stock, is there some technique or method to cut threads longer than the distance?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It has been documented here on PM that Hardinge used the simple expedient of building special (for their own use only) long bed versions of one of their lathes in order to make the lead screws for the normal bed version.

I was at the Clausing factory parts warehouse years ago and the man I talked to said they used a die head to cut the threads on their feed screws. The reason I was there was to try to buy a replacement cross feed screw with decent threads. They let me look at the whole bin and I left without a screw. A die head can cut a screw that is longer than the lathe bed if the head is mounted to the carriage and the tailstock is removed.

Larry

Curious on if/how this would be done. From what I can tell, the lead screw is always longer than the carriage travel distance. Assuming there's no access or availability to lead screw stock, is there some technique or method to cut threads longer than the distance?

Thread grinder.....

I've chased threads on old lead screws and made new bronze nuts to fit them. The nuts wind up having a thicker thread for longer life, if you want to look at it that way. Used to have access to a company that had a thread milling machine that made lead screws in just about any size up 4" in diameter and as long as you wanted to make it. Lead screws of 20-60 foot long were not unusual for them to make.

On the lathe, they are easy to do if your lathe has a good lead screw and is not worn in any one place. A follower rest is a must for cutting any long threaded rod. For lead screws longer than what your lathe will cut,. Start out cutting as much as you can, the shift the material into the headstock to the end of the freshly cut thread, pick up that thread and continue until you get the length needed for the lead screw needed.

Ken

I make replacement screws for older style lathes, typically Atlas, LeBlond, and South Bend. I've had good success with cutting a portion of the thread then repositioning the screw to extend the thread. I suggest using the cross slide to plunge cut the thread with the compound set at 90 degrees. This gives you a much easier time to realign your cutting tool with the tail end of the threading you've already done, simply use the compound to adjust your tool side to side till it falls back into the thread you've cut to that point (make sure you're still using the same engagement points you were for the first part of the thread so you don't get confused). That, at least, is what I find works best for me. I have on occasion done this with the compound set to 14 degrees and just engaged the half nuts and played around with both the cross slide and compound till it lines back up. That's pretty confusing though since you likely wont be dialing back to zero anymore and you may or may not be able to adjust your dials to compensate. I'm sure others do this differently.

Stephen

I've done a poor man's repair on lathes with a lathe screw worn badly in one spot, which is typically the case. I flipped it end-for-end, making an adapter or machining what is necessary to fit on each end. Now the worn spot is way out at the end where no one uses it, and on the backside of the leadscrew. I did the same thing to refresh the clamp screw of an old Kalamazoo horizontal saw. Crude, but it works.

Thanks for the information everyone. Thinking of trying to make parts for my machines in absence of other projects

Making a lead screw is an interesting subject. The techniques used depend a lot on the precision that is needed in it. If all you need is one for average shop use, then you could just purchase some threaded rod and cut or add to the ends as needed for the particular lathe. That is probably the easiest way.

From that point, things can get more difficult. Some have mentioned just cutting it in two or more sections, synchronizing the threads as you go. That can add discontinuities at those points where the threads have to be matched.

A thread chasing head (a big die) can cut a thread of any length, but any error in the pitch of the die will be reflected along the entire length of the screw produced that way.

Another consideration is if you intend to cut the screw on the lathe that has a worn screw, then things get real dicey. Most lead screws will have a lot of wear in the area near the headstock and the remainder will be almost factory perfect. This wear will show up as changes in the pitch of the thread that it cuts. As you cut away from the headstock the pitch (in TPI) will first increase, then go back to the nominal value, then decrease, and finally go back to that nominal value. And, due to the differing lengths of the many threads that have been cut with it, these errors may not be symmetrical. The increase in TPI may happen over a smaller distance than the subsequent decrease.

Many techniques have been used to decrease the errors when cutting lead screws. One such technique is to make two screws and mount them in opposite directions on a lathe that has provision for turning both of them at the same time. The cutting tool is guided from a point that is on a bracket that is connected to nuts on both of them and is half way between the points where those two nuts are attached. This will average out some errors. BUT NOT ALL OF THEM. Another technique is to make the nut(s) relatively long so that they will average out any local errors in the original screw(s) that are used.

Master screws are lapped with a long lap that spans many threads, again to average out any errors that may exist in the original cutting. These lapped screws are not for use on a production lathe, rather they are used, along with other techniques, to make the final product.

Of course, with any of this you need to be able to measure and verify the accuracy as you are cutting them. Break out the Jo blocks.

I suspect that my first suggestion, just purchasing some threaded rod, may be the best choice in your case. Frankly, it is probably what I would do.

Just depends on availability. I know McMasters "precision" lead screws are 2C acme threads which may or may not fit your half nut. I've heard plenty of people mention that it was over-sized and didn't fit their application. If you want good 3G threaded rod, I got a quote for 8' of 7/16-10 LH acme threaded rod for $382.00. Which honestly is a pretty good deal.. But who needs 8 feet of that unless they intend to offer rebuild kits for older South Bend's?

Personally, I don't claim to completely understand the difference between centralizing and general purpose acme thread. I do know that most older manufactures (if not all) used General Purpose class threads. I'm not sure if the two are interchangeable or not though..

Most used 3C class Acme threads on lead screws and nuts back in the days. And really, there's so little difference between the two classes of thread fits that most of us would never know if it was a C class or G class. Naru, your thinking is right on a class 3G fit between the screw and nut thread. on any new replacement screws and nuts, or any thing new in industry. I've found that most 2G taps will cut a thread in a nut, and the nut will fit close to a 3G cut screw thread. Which is the way Acme threads work. The screw thread will have the "slop" according to the thread class, which is based on diameter and pitch , where the nut is usually consistent on the minimum PD and the tolerance is govern by the thread class. Yeah, it don't make a whole lot of sense, I spent countless days researching and studying Acme, Stub Acme, and the variations of Stub Acme threads that has been developed by our predecessors several years back when I was developing standards for the company I worked for back in the 1990's. Ken

I've chased threads on old lead screws and made new bronze nuts to fit them. The nuts wind up having a thicker thread for longer life, if you want to look at it that way. Used to have access to a company that had a thread milling machine that made lead screws in just about any size up 4" in diameter and as long as you wanted to make it. Lead screws of 20-60 foot long were not unusual for them to make.

On the lathe, they are easy to do if your lathe has a good lead screw and is not worn in any one place. A follower rest is a must for cutting any long threaded rod. For lead screws longer than what your lathe will cut,. Start out cutting as much as you can, the shift the material into the headstock to the end of the freshly cut thread, pick up that thread and continue until you get the length needed for the lead screw needed.

Ken

I second the use of a follower rest, but I would also suggest the use of a steady rest to support the outboard end to eliminate the tailstock, which will allow you to extend the travel to obtain the final length desired for the lead screw. I used this method for making a new lead screw for my 16 inch South Bend lathe.

Move it down and carefully pick up your own previous thread.
The question is why would you want to use the same presumably worn out screw to make your replacement screw.
I know this stupid notion stems from the idea that a lathe can make itself.

You definitly need a second lathe with a good lead screw to make a new one by. Or just thread using the unworn area of the existing screw. That makes it a "long winded" project.:(

Move it down and carefully pick up your own previous thread.
The question is why would you want to use the same presumably worn out screw to make your replacement screw.
I know this stupid notion stems from the idea that a lathe can make itself.
The idea about making itself is what got me thinking about it. This was more of a thinking exercise than anything else. I am sort of looking for some projects: I thought this would be a neat challenge (for an amateur), and remaking the gears. The machine was making parts up till it was loaded onto my trailer.

L&S had a solid set up it looks like. Who knows how long the bed was

I see a follow rest in the middle and a custom carriage mounted steady rest on either side of it

Oh! And gobs of cutting oil

Attachments

• Lead Screw Set Up.jpg
    Lead Screw Set Up.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 130
Standard and Modern had a really neat German made leadscrew mill, rotating cutter traveling along, propelled by a very large diameter leadscrew. It was a while ago, maybe 4-6" in diameter? (guess). The whole affair was under a steady stream of oil , like you see on a gear hobber. They were not turned on lathes,

Back