What's new
What's new

machining silver question

fubar62172

Aluminum
I had a job that I needed to machine 99.9% silver blocks.
I am looking for someplace to sell the chips from the job....any recommendations would be greatly appriciated
Thanks

I am looking for someplace to sell the chips from the job....any recommendations would be greatly appriciated
Thanks

Your supplier of the Silver may have a program. That's easiest because there are anti-money-laundering / anti-stolen goods bona-fides to put into the record, and they'll already know where it came from.

We used Hoover & Strong, but not-only. Mind - that was 74 to 84, but H&S are still.. "going strong" AFAIK:

Refining.

There are others....

You'll get much more money with a local craigslist advert.....:)

:(

Hardly. Our assay reports even reflected trace elements and base-metal in the alloy as were trapped and recovered from the smelter's flue gases, not all of them payables but accuratly recorded, nonetheless. Pollution (NOT!) thing, heavily regulated industry as it is.

Might also be safer than Craigslist to just go play in traffic?

:(

Hardly. Our assay reports even reflected trace elements and base-metal in the alloy as were trapped and recovered from the smelter's flue gases, not all of them payables but accuratly recorded, nonetheless. Pollution (NOT!) thing, heavily regulated industry as it is.

Might also be safer than Craigslist to just go play in traffic?

"Surely you jest"

Yes, I jest....

I started out buying silver from Hauser & Miller here in St. Louis but there was so much daylight between the selling price and what they gave me for scrap that I set up my own Thum cell and recycled the scrap contacts myself. At one time I had 100 pounds laying around in boxes but you lose a little with each iteration and I finally sold what was left during the price boom. A jeweler friend told me there was another company here that was a little more generous. I don't remember the name but I can find out.

Bill

Hoover and hauser will be the price paid today. rio grande is my goto, they just are friendly, help out with any non ferrious questions, and, well nice. send them any sand paper used too. that goes to cerf, so helps someone really in need.

Thanks

Depends on quantity, if less than 10 oz. or so, ask jewelers near you for the local precious metal supplier and they will handle a small quantity like that. Providence (and probably Boston) will have retail buyers of precious metals, if convenient.
If more than 30oz or so, a refiner is a better choice, but you will need to open an account. Hoover and Strong is a good one, if you have more than 1000 oz shop around with the larger refiners, Handy and Harman Englehard, not sure who is still around, but it would be worth a little Reaserch if you have some decent quantity.
Rio Grande Albuquerque is a “mail order” retail jewelry supply operation that will handle small quantities also, and are friendly as cited above.

... gratuitously farted in yet-another diving helmet.

You ought to run for Congress.

Mought take their collective tiny minds off some of the PRESENT insanity before it fossilizes.
I have ????

there are many people that are buying silver, the weekly junk auction in our little town...
You see them jump on silver coins, paying way over spot.

And then you have the people making colloidal, and all manner of other silver "collectors".

And they don't have much in the way to check all these things you list (trace elements,
contaminants, etc) those are just to lower the price.

On recommendation from a pawn shop owner friend I used Hoover & Strong to sell about 10 pounds of silver sludge collected from my photo darkroom hypo. Shipped the sludge, assay & check came. Zip, zip.

Paul

How much do you have? I pay 90% actual silver value on assay. If you started with fine silver, I doubt it picked up much noticeable junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back