What's new
What's new

Machining tapered shafts w/ conical endmill/horizontal rotary table

Dilettantism101

Plastic
Hello,
I am devising a method for machining 8 deg. tapers into 1/2 ground dowel pins... on a mill.
Currently, my idea is to mount a 5C rotary indexer in the vertical position on the table and use a conical
endmill to take incremental passes into the taper while continuously rotating the part.

Is this a reasonable method? I need these pins to be as concentric as possible and unfortunately can't find anything off the shelf. Any other more precise methods, omitting a lathe?

Your plan sounds good, as long as there is no requirement for a good finish or accuracy. The first problem will be your hand-rotated table will produce varying amounts of cut. Then, the tapered end mill will also not give a repeatable cut, especially in a fairly hard material. It will also give a varying finish the more you increase the contact area.

It's a mess, all around, unless you have a very loose requirement of finished product.

The rotary table is CNC controlled, but fair points. The material removal is minimal, I was thinking take a few thou passes per rotation and then a couple of rotations at final depth as a spring pass.

It might be better to tilt the rotab and grind the pins with a dressed cup wheel. The fact that you don't have a lathe limits your options somewhat. Not saying it can't be done, it's just going to be interesting.

Is your mill like a BP that you can tilt to the head to proper angle and mount the workpiece in a collet? Then you can mount a carbide tool in the vise and raise the table up and down for the cut using the x or y for depth of cut or advance the quill into the tool.

Memphis nailed it. (using your angled cutter; or angling a straight cutter)

However, that does put a lot of edge pressure (deflection) on both the tool and work.

Even better would be if you have a small slide, that can angle to what you need, and use it in conjunction with the mill spindle as an ad-hoc lathe. using carbide tip single point bit.

smt_MLA52.jpg

As mentioned by others, spinning on a surface grinder would be easier/faster/better.

If you want esoteric mill methods, use a taper-boring, boring head.
Although i sometimes taper bore seats on the mill with a taper boring head, i usually make the mating part in a lathe or on the surface grinder. Example shown was for "demonstration purposes" :)

smt_boringTree3.jpg

Good luck!
smt

Back