What's new
What's new

Machinist definitions (where?)

jackalope

Titanium
Being a newbee around machine tools, is there a book that has defininitions and abreviations, etc. Looking for something I can use a quick reference. I did a quick search on here but did not find anything .Thanks.--Grant

For things like LMAO? or ROTFLMAO? or do you mean things like TIR, RMS, HSS, SF, SAE?? Got the bible? The machinists handbook? Also try the Machinist Practicle Guide (its a little pocket book). We have about 300 of them to hand out. Got them from Morse cutting tools, 31695 Stephensen Highway, Madison Heights, MI 48070-1672 Phone number 248-588-2220

Cruizin', Amazingly enough, I already know what ROLMFAO...... It's the ones that are important to me that I want to learn about ;)
Thanks for the other info though!
Evan, Thanks for the link.

I like some of the alternate meanings for common metalworking acronyms.

MIG: Mind In Gutter
SAE: Serious Adverse Event
HSS: Homer Simpson Syndrome
CRS: Can't Remember Stuff, Cranial-Rectal Syndrome
SMAW: Shoulder-Launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon
CAD: Condemned At Depot
CNC: Chicken Noodle Coalition
EDM: Ego Defense Mechanism
DTI: Don't Try It

Well, I will add another as long as there are no women lurking through this thread..

CMBS>> Chronic malignant Bitch Syndrome--We have a lot of people at my "day job" suffering from this....Terribly debilitating......to the people who have to put up with it! ;)

Evan;
Thanks for the link... all this time I've been trying to figure out Sweet Wife Might Bitch Out???Sweet Wife My Bitch Only?? Seldom With My Brother's Other???Then with the link LOL.

SWMBO is quite old.

She is a novel by H. Rider Haggard, first serialized in The Graphic from October 1886 to January 1887. In reprints it was extraordinarily popular in its day, and it has remained in print to the present {2006}.

It recounts the adventures of an expedition to an unexplored part of East Africa, where they find Ayesha, a beautiful and apparently immortal sorceress, who claims the expedition's leader as the reincarnation of her long-dead beloved. (Haggard gives a phonetic rendering of “Ayesha” as “assha”.) She had become ageless and perfectly beautiful more than 2 millennia earlier by immersing herself in a magic flame; she presses the expedition leader now to immerse himself as well.

This character was supposedly inspired by the Balobedu Rain Queen Masalanabo Modjadji.

The title is short for "She Who Must Be Obeyed", a translation of the Arabic honorific used for Ayesha by the Amahagger, a tribe whom she has enslaved. (The phrase acquired additional significance in British popular culture as the name by which John Mortimer's character Horace Rumpole refers to his wife.)

Back