What's new
What's new

Machinist Industrial Calculator

Ratz

Aluminum
Hi Everybody.

After all these years I decided to get me one of these calculators.

Besides all the fancy calculations one can perform, speed feed rate on different materials, What I am interested is to know pitch range of a specific thread.
So say ½” NC has a pitch 0.443 to 0.448 for 2A class thread.

I called MSC today, unfortunately too late to be able to get all the detailed info, if the calculator will show me min and max range of the pitch as above.

At the present time, I am looking at this calculator, link below at MSC

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/44020634?rItem=44020634

However if some of you have an idea of better choice, and or tell me if your calculator displays this pitch range, I would appreciate your input.

Thank You,

Hi Everybody.

After all these years I decided to get me one of these calculators.

Besides all the fancy calculations one can perform, speed feed rate on different materials, What I am interested is to know pitch range of a specific thread.
So say ½” NC has a pitch 0.443 to 0.448 for 2A class thread.

I called MSC today, unfortunately too late to be able to get all the detailed info, if the calculator will show me min and max range of the pitch as above.

At the present time, I am looking at this calculator, link below at MSC

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/44020634?rItem=44020634

However if some of you have an idea of better choice, and or tell me if your calculator displays this pitch range, I would appreciate your input.

Thank You,

G Wizard from CNC cookbook has this plus feeds and speeds, I have the Machinist Calc Pro 2 and never use it after I got the G Wizard application

Attachments

• Gwizard.jpg
    Gwizard.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 110
easier to use machinerys handbook. usually use chart, make copy and keep at machine when doing a job if worried about handbook getting dirty or wet .
some free tool catalogs will also have chart on tolerances too. and some ISO books on screw threads will have charts on screw tolerances. personally i would want to know who created the data or how its based on, what standard is it based on. usually that is on the chart at the top or bottom

All great suggestions. Machinery Handbook is what I use now.

Printing various pages is a great idea, as I am kind of tired flipping pages through the book, and I have pages printed for other task in the clipboards hanging all around the machines. It is OK, but It seems I am constantly looking for something and loss of time is annoying.
Maybe purchasing a Disc form of Machinery Handbook may be better, and look it up on the screen, will likely be easier. It could be just me as there is so much information in there, so it takes me for ever to locate what I want by index.
Hence, I thought I update to some more organized system. If that is ever possible.

Thanks to “Triage” for the online calculator link. That really looks nice and I think I will start using it.

Thanks to IWUP for sample from G Wizard from CNC cookbook. That is rather impressive although likely overkill for me. I will give them a call. Lot will depend on subscription cost and also if it is an activated software. I do not mind purchasing a software and putting in a code, however I have gone though my fair share where software becomes deactivated and I have to phone in.

All great suggestions. Machinery Handbook is what I use now.

Printing various pages is a great idea, as I am kind of tired flipping pages through the book, and I have pages printed for other task in the clipboards hanging all around the machines. It is OK, but It seems I am constantly looking for something and loss of time is annoying.
Maybe purchasing a Disc form of Machinery Handbook may be better, and look it up on the screen, will likely be easier. It could be just me as there is so much information in there, so it takes me for ever to locate what I want by index.
Hence, I thought I update to some more organized system. If that is ever possible.

Thanks to “Triage” for the online calculator link. That really looks nice and I think I will start using it.

Thanks to IWUP for sample from G Wizard from CNC cookbook. That is rather impressive although likely overkill for me. I will give them a call. Lot will depend on subscription cost and also if it is an activated software. I do not mind purchasing a software and putting in a code, however I have gone though my fair share where software becomes deactivated and I have to phone in.

I got the 3 year subscription, it's $139 now, 1 year is $79, you can do a 30 day trial for free
G-Wizard Calculator Pricing - CNCCookbook: Be A Better CNC'er
I think the activation is by email address but don't quote me on that, I haven't had any issues so it's not something I had to look into.

I have the original Machinist Calc Pro. It sits in a drawer in my shop and I go to it often. To look something up in Machinery's Handbook takes much longer. And going to where my computer is to start up some application - forget it. The whole idea is to have it right where you need it.

metalmagpie

Ditto to what metalmagpie said. I wouldn't keep a computer in my shop as they aren't made for what I'd put it through. I don't have a cell phone. If I used my Machinery's Handbook it would be destroyed by coolant, oil, or sharp chips. The Machinist Calc Pro is cheap enough that even if it were destroyed it could be easily and cheaply replaced and it's just more convenient.

JMHO

-Ron

Every electronic gee whiz thing someone comes up with has more stuff on it than I need or care about I ignore the stuff I don't care about.
I would not keep my machinist handbook by my machine as it would be destroyed, plus it is a pain to look stuff up in. I do have a blue book, shop reference for students, they are cheep and have most of the stuff needed for day to day operations in the shop.
I use a machinist pro calculator as it can take a beating and keep on ticking. I am sure not going to have my $900.00 phone out laying on the lathe just waiting to get broken.

Thanks to everybody for their input.

I have purchased CNC Machinist Calculator Pro App for my Android which I keep in my office, adjacent to the workshop. I think it is worth the $16.99 for all the info and the speed I can look it up.

I am also pursuing the G Wizard from CNC cookbook, but I would like to ask number of questions about software, before I install it on my computer. It looks like email only, so I send them email to phone me as I am not ready, to write essays.

Cheers

Back