What's new
What's new

Machinist VS. Welder

i_r_machinist

Titanium
Is it written in the machinery handbook that machinists and welders are supposed to pick at each other? I was taught my first day at trade school that welders were considered to be "Not far from the trees" and this seems to be the pattern at all the shops I've been in. Most of the machinists I've known have been very good welders but not vice versa. Is it a dogs and cats thing?

When you work in the large casting world, a good welder is revered as a god (small d), though we give him crap all we can, part of the job.

He has also become a very good machinist. Though I wouldn't want my sister to marry one. Or my brother.

I consider myself a pretty decent machinist, where
even after years of trying to weld I can barely tack
spacers to a plate. People marvel at my machine
work while my welds look like they were done by a 3 year old having a temper tantrum.

Its best to have both mindsets "available to you"

- hog from a single solid piece of billet; use nothing but bolted, pinned or clipped fasteners

- build up from boxed, ribbed and gusseted sections, from bits and pieces

And probably more often than not, a hybrid approach is called for.

I'd say over half the welders I've known were high school drop out druggies. Although I guess there's been a good few of that kind posing as machinists too now that I think about it.

Plenty of welders walking around bitching about everything any machinist makes, as if they know everything about machining. Plenty of names ruined that way, for some reason people listen to welders, but not to machinists. For some odd reason welders have often regarded themselves as gods indeed, maybe because on average they make a couple dollars more than machinists.

There's A-holes in every trades and profession, some make managers, but most don't get anywhere and they stick around for years bitching about something or someone.

A decent machinist can make a good welder that will take good care of making sure things are right, and in general we do have a different way to think things thru, even if its just a matter of double checking that everything stayed in place after putting tacks. We can also use decimals :D , and machine fixtures for the special welding jobs. I'm glad I became both machinist and welder. (welding came second)

Even the worst of machinist will probably make a decent welder, its all practice and practice. Although some never get it right, its not for everybody.
Machining is more than just practice, but unfortunately it isn't regarded as being much of anything anymore. Welders will always be in some sort of demand although robots are getting quite good at replacing them too, but production machining keeps going down, someday it may only be about repairing stuff.

When it comes to problem-solving the welder will often have the simpler solution since often they have to perform miracles with the minimum of equipment. Conversely the fitter might look for a more complex intricate solution.

I know a guy right now who is a good welder ,but he is on anti psychotic medication . He can machine to.

And no it is not me .

Yes, it is a simple cats-n-dogs thing.

They put the metal on, we take it off.

Both think we are fixing the other's "mistakes".

Hmmm. In the artist community I have some contact with, welding, blacksmithing, and where available machining are all viewed as useful skills to make what you are trying to make. So maybe the cat-n-dog thing arises in specialized production environments?

Of course, it's only me in my shop, and I don't have enough personalities (enough personality at all?) for the welder, smith, machinist, and engineer inside me to argue with each other....

Ahhh, then if I start taking drugs my welding will improve?
Does the same apply with a 6 pack of Bud???

I once saw a pipe welder using a mirror taped to a stick to Tig weld the back side of a 6" ss oil line on a turbine

Yes, he was God

But when the Do-hicky on his car needs fixin "Who he gonna call"

My dad is among one of the best welders I have worked around.He always used to say that there were only two things he couldn't weld,the crack in your a$$ & a broken heart.Others have told me that when my dad was younger he use to tell people he could weld 2 ice cubes together.However,about 10 years ago,I let him use a couple of my 1-2-3 blocks for a welding set-up,he got some weld spatter on them.Rather than give them back to me to stone down he used his 4" hard wheel grinder to remove them. :mad:

there was a time when welders were a select few and you had to be good. but with so many cheap machines out there there are alot of people that call themselves welders. but they are not even close they are wire bruners.

it takes a kind of inborn skill to be a welder. i have tought welding and some can pick it up and go and others after 2 months i advised to pick another profession.

about 10 year a go i learned toolmaking. started out at the bottom and did the 4 years.

so now i can't throw stones at either trade.

There's welders and then there's welders.

A guy who has been running around an assembly line with a MIG gun for 2 years is hardly a welder, more a "welding operator".

Then there are the true craftsman welders. Guys (and gals!) experienced and proficient welding in multiple processes, all positions, and with any metals.

Welding at it's higher levels is both a craft and a science. Top welders know a hell of a lot more about metalurgy than most machinists I've met.

Now, as for some of the "machinists" I have met...

My point is in any trade there are different levels of skill and experience.

I'm glad I became both machinist and welder. (welding came second)
When it comes to problem-solving the welder will often have the simpler solution since often they have to perform miracles with the minimum of equipment. Conversely the fitter might look for a more complex intricate solution.
so now i can't throw stones at either trade.
A guy who has been running around an assembly line with a MIG gun for 2 years is hardly a welder, more a "welding operator".
These quotes sum up what I'd say on the subject! Some welders deserve to be called Welders, with the capital W. Same with the machinist's M. Some deserve ALL CAPITALS.

Richard

Never knew there were bad feelings between welders and machinists ?? :confused:

When I'm doing my apprenticeship at a company I'm probably going to go to night classes and learn how to weld both with Oxy-Acetylene & TIG properly, its been ages since I've done it but it was pretty fun. Its good to know how to weld in my opinion.

Dimitri

i've met lots of "expert" mig "weldors" , men and women alike,
who "can weld nearly anything"

just hand them a
stinger w/ a 7018 rod and laugh and laugh and laugh... they've never seen one before!

i am an experienced machinist(a term i don't
throw around) , but i can weld....i sure as
hell wouldn't call myself a master weldor.
i can mig/tig/stick/oxyacy.... but there's
more to it....experience!

machining, for the novice...CAN be achieved very
meticulously and slowly.

welding is all or nothing...you can't fake great welding!

Back