What's new
What's new

Mag base drill tooling recomendations.

i_r_machinist

Titanium
This last outage we got snowed under with drilling out 1-1/2" inch studs on some valves in the field with a large Milwaukee mag base, with a top speed of about 500. Depth of cut was 3.75" so that screwed us on using rotabroaches. Went through with a 1/2" drill then stepped it out to 1.375" because the bolts are harder that hell. I can use a drip coolant but not a flood. Never used a spade drill on a mag base, but I'm thinking of trying. I've also been directed to try some of those drills that have the screw on carbide cutting end, but they only go up to 1", that I've seen, and don't know if they will run without flood coolant. I have used a kennametal HTSC drill with great results, but it is not dumbass proof and I won't give it to my contract guys.
Any Ideas?
have fun
ir

Room for a magnet on each side of the hole ?

Purchase 2 permanent lifting magnets (the ones with the swing handle)
Fabricate a bridge between them, and add a Bridgeport head.

Flange studs, or where pieces connect to the body? Flange studs get the gas axe.

If flammable product is a worry, torch them apart and replace with a fresh stud one at a time. Then turn off the torch and break the connection per usual, we call that 'hot bolting'. It's probably deemed unsafe by some office dweeb, but when you have a very defined outage window swapping all the studs the day before in this method is a life-saver.

Never split a valve body in the field, can't help too much there except- slugging wrench.

Programmed via Mazatrol

I guess you know the head can be had with a Morse taper- don’t know if that opens up your options. I’ve never see a 4” deep annular cutter for metal - love my Milwaukee steel hawgs, but they bottom out just past 2”.

Thermite
I stand humbled. I have searched the net high and low and NEVER came across this info.
Thank You!
For the other replies, here is my setup.
Studs are in body so no gas axe. ( should have said that)
24" body flange with just enough room for 1 guy operating.
Thanks for all the replies
have fun
ir

mag drill.JPG

Back