mag drill with reverse?
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default mag drill with reverse?

I'm looking for a mag drill that has reverse.
    I have a bunch of m16x2 weld nuts in several assemblies that closed up, got powder coat in them / my hardware is too tight for hand assembly due to it's plating etc...

I want to run an oversize tap through them. reverse would seem to be handy but they are all through holes and I can simply drop the tap out the back after running through the nut.

I'm not seeing this as an option on any. are there any that do?

this one shows a tap being used in it's sales lit but no mention of reverse.
    72721561120, Fein Slugger JMC USA 90 Magnetic Drill | Quality Tools & Accessories

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dsergison View Post
    I'm looking for a mag drill that has reverse.
    I have a bunch of m16x2 weld nuts in several assemblies that closed up, got powder coat in them / my hardware is too tight for hand assembly due to it's plating etc...

I want to run an oversize tap through them. reverse would seem to be handy but they are all through holes and I can simply drop the tap out the back after running through the nut.

I'm not seeing this as an option on any. are there any that do?

this one shows a tap being used in it's sales lit but no mention of reverse.
    72721561120, Fein Slugger JMC USA 90 Magnetic Drill | Quality Tools & Accessories
    usually they have a reverse but i suppose its not guaranteed on every one made. obviously how chuck is mounted effects things. a simple screw on thread mount for chuck would unscrew in reverse. it needs a screw to prevent this just like hand held drills have a screw to prevent chuck unscrewing when in reverse

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    usually they have a reverse but i suppose its not guaranteed on every one made. obviously how chuck is mounted effects things. a simple screw on thread mount for chuck would unscrew in reverse. it needs a screw to prevent this just like hand held drills have a screw to prevent chuck unscrewing when in reverse
    Really? I have poured over many. Millwaulkee Jancy/Fein, Dewalt, Hougen and I don't see a reverse switch in any spec, picture or manual. Just a magnet on/off and drill on/off and usually a 2 speed shift lever. I've used several but it's been a long time and I don't recall ever seeing reverse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went thru same thing. The choices at the time were limited to some Milwaukee’s and Bluerock BRM60A-B, a Chinese knockoff from Amazon. I rolled the dice for knockoff for 30% of the Milwaukee. I ended up drilling 360 1-1/4” holes thru inch plate without a hiccup. The only thing I can not stand is the whine from the gearbox/motor. By the way, the unit came well equipped with a Weldon adaptor, drill chuck (which won’t unscrew in reverse) and tool set.

5. Likes dsergison liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

https://www.amazon.com/KANETEC-KCD-M.../dp/B073X4XTKH

How about a magnetic base you can use with a hand drill?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

can you use an auto reversing tapper ?

8. Likes charlie gary, Ries, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't see why you can't chase the threads with a tap in a cordless hand drill. Choose a taper tap if you are worried about initial alignment. The rigidity of a mag drill is much more likely to recut the threads off location or at an angle, not to mention the PITA factor of aligning the tap each time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well...maybe if it was just paint removal fine...but at m16x2 size it's a hell of a lot of torque far beyond what you want to use on a cordless drill or your wrists if your re-cutting metal.

We already did it with a normal size tap trying to chase out the powdercoat and that's when we found the nuts were quite undersize. It was Very hard going. Myself I did pretty well but not great. The ones a coworker did, well he can't hold a drill straight. It was a spiral point tap we had and it would constantly jam and cock sideways on removal.

The results were far less than awesome. Some of the welds nuts were apparently less than perfectly perpendicular to the plates and the chased threads still would not accept our overly heavily plated hardware.

I now have an oversize taper tap. I expect even more force recutting these, and the previously buggered threads I wish to recut very straight not just let it self align.

I'm looking at making a guide and driving the tap through all 100 holes by hand but then I though a mag drill would be perfect.

if I used it for tapping I think would make or buy a weldon shank tap driver and make a weldon shank alignment alignment nub so I could center the spindle with the short nub then raise the spindle and insert the tap and then drive it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just put a reversing switch on a mag drill. When I reverse it without letting it come to a stop, I get a big blue flash from the brushes. I am now working on a current limiter to keep from frying them. I'll keep you posted.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a friend who just bought one of these- a hefty metabo drill made to tap- it has auto reverse. He tapped a couple thousand holes in thick steel with it recently, he loves it.
    Its a lot quicker to use this than to position a mag drill for every hole.
    I have done my time wrassling with mag drills.
    When you need em, you need em, but I think its overkill for this, and they dont have a clutch or auto reverse.

they say it will tap up to M12.

My buddy says it has a lot of torque.

GB 18 LTX BL Q I (603827890) Cordless Tappers | Metabo Power Tools

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What’s kinda cool about that Metabo is that it has a 4 sided chuck to grip the tap. Price ~$690......

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Every Milwaukee I have ever used had reverse. You can leave the clamp between the drill and mag loose to ease alignment. I'd try a right angle drill. The kind electricians use for drilling studs.

15. Likes Toolznthings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've chased thousands of 1/2-13 threads after powder coat with a regular cordless drill and a spiral point tap.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

A tapmatic head is pretty small, will one fit ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Old sawmill/millwrigh trick is to press a nylock on to the back of a tap and drive it with a air impact gun
    Git er done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They make tap sockets...

20. Likes moonlight machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    They make tap sockets...
    My Milwaukee magnetic drill has reverse, I don't think I have ever seen one without reverse.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    They make tap sockets...
    Yup and 12 point sockets work to but..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hbjj View Post
    Yup and 12 point sockets work to but..
    But jamming a nut on the tap is better?

When I hear "old millwright's trick" I just shake my head. Probably from the years I've spent cleaning up after those guys. All of their tricks involve a hammer...

24. Likes Ries, Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine is an old school .it has a mechanical reverse. You rotate the upper brush holder and it changes the direction of the motor. Supposedly this is a superior design electrically speaking. This also prevents an accidental instant reverse which is quite a spark show on these big drills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk