What's new
What's new

mag drill with reverse?

dsergison

Diamond
I'm looking for a mag drill that has reverse.
I have a bunch of m16x2 weld nuts in several assemblies that closed up, got powder coat in them / my hardware is too tight for hand assembly due to it's plating etc...

I want to run an oversize tap through them. reverse would seem to be handy but they are all through holes and I can simply drop the tap out the back after running through the nut.

I'm not seeing this as an option on any. are there any that do?

this one shows a tap being used in it's sales lit but no mention of reverse.
72721561120, Fein Slugger JMC USA 90 Magnetic Drill | Quality Tools & Accessories

I'm looking for a mag drill that has reverse.
I have a bunch of m16x2 weld nuts in several assemblies that closed up, got powder coat in them / my hardware is too tight for hand assembly due to it's plating etc...

I want to run an oversize tap through them. reverse would seem to be handy but they are all through holes and I can simply drop the tap out the back after running through the nut.

I'm not seeing this as an option on any. are there any that do?

this one shows a tap being used in it's sales lit but no mention of reverse.
72721561120, Fein Slugger JMC USA 90 Magnetic Drill | Quality Tools & Accessories

usually they have a reverse but i suppose its not guaranteed on every one made. obviously how chuck is mounted effects things. a simple screw on thread mount for chuck would unscrew in reverse. it needs a screw to prevent this just like hand held drills have a screw to prevent chuck unscrewing when in reverse

usually they have a reverse but i suppose its not guaranteed on every one made. obviously how chuck is mounted effects things. a simple screw on thread mount for chuck would unscrew in reverse. it needs a screw to prevent this just like hand held drills have a screw to prevent chuck unscrewing when in reverse

Really? I have poured over many. Millwaulkee Jancy/Fein, Dewalt, Hougen and I don't see a reverse switch in any spec, picture or manual. Just a magnet on/off and drill on/off and usually a 2 speed shift lever. I've used several but it's been a long time and I don't recall ever seeing reverse.

I went thru same thing. The choices at the time were limited to some Milwaukee’s and Bluerock BRM60A-B, a Chinese knockoff from Amazon. I rolled the dice for knockoff for 30% of the Milwaukee. I ended up drilling 360 1-1/4” holes thru inch plate without a hiccup. The only thing I can not stand is the whine from the gearbox/motor. By the way, the unit came well equipped with a Weldon adaptor, drill chuck (which won’t unscrew in reverse) and tool set.

I don't see why you can't chase the threads with a tap in a cordless hand drill. Choose a taper tap if you are worried about initial alignment. The rigidity of a mag drill is much more likely to recut the threads off location or at an angle, not to mention the PITA factor of aligning the tap each time.

well...maybe if it was just paint removal fine...but at m16x2 size it's a hell of a lot of torque far beyond what you want to use on a cordless drill or your wrists if your re-cutting metal.

We already did it with a normal size tap trying to chase out the powdercoat and that's when we found the nuts were quite undersize. It was Very hard going. Myself I did pretty well but not great. The ones a coworker did, well he can't hold a drill straight. It was a spiral point tap we had and it would constantly jam and cock sideways on removal.

The results were far less than awesome. Some of the welds nuts were apparently less than perfectly perpendicular to the plates and the chased threads still would not accept our overly heavily plated hardware.

I now have an oversize taper tap. I expect even more force recutting these, and the previously buggered threads I wish to recut very straight not just let it self align.

I'm looking at making a guide and driving the tap through all 100 holes by hand but then I though a mag drill would be perfect.

if I used it for tapping I think would make or buy a weldon shank tap driver and make a weldon shank alignment alignment nub so I could center the spindle with the short nub then raise the spindle and insert the tap and then drive it.

I just put a reversing switch on a mag drill. When I reverse it without letting it come to a stop, I get a big blue flash from the brushes. I am now working on a current limiter to keep from frying them. I'll keep you posted.

Bill

I have a friend who just bought one of these- a hefty metabo drill made to tap- it has auto reverse. He tapped a couple thousand holes in thick steel with it recently, he loves it.
Its a lot quicker to use this than to position a mag drill for every hole.
I have done my time wrassling with mag drills.
When you need em, you need em, but I think its overkill for this, and they dont have a clutch or auto reverse.

they say it will tap up to M12.

My buddy says it has a lot of torque.

GB 18 LTX BL Q I (603827890) Cordless Tappers | Metabo Power Tools

Every Milwaukee I have ever used had reverse. You can leave the clamp between the drill and mag loose to ease alignment. I'd try a right angle drill. The kind electricians use for drilling studs.

Old sawmill/millwrigh trick is to press a nylock on to the back of a tap and drive it with a air impact gun
Git er done!

Yup and 12 point sockets work to but..

But jamming a nut on the tap is better?

When I hear "old millwright's trick" I just shake my head. Probably from the years I've spent cleaning up after those guys. All of their tricks involve a hammer...

Mine is an old school .it has a mechanical reverse. You rotate the upper brush holder and it changes the direction of the motor. Supposedly this is a superior design electrically speaking
f7cdaded2c3a58fe4005f0ff132140e9.jpg
. This also prevents an accidental instant reverse which is quite a spark show on these big drills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back