What's new
What's new

Magnet Assembly into pocket

tait03

Plastic
Hello,

I'm working on an assembly for work where we need to put magnets into a pocket on the part we are manufacturing. The problem is that the magnet wants to stick to everything and if it goes in at an angle then it does not seat properly. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to streamline this process? Or any suggestions?

The magnet is a direct cutout of the pocket. So can go in only one way it is not circular.

Any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Keep the magnet stuck to the stack of magnets, insert the magnet into the pocket, and slide the stack to the side to release. I use red Loctite to hold the magnet into the pocket in aluminum. Done this way it takes 5 seconds to insert 1/2"x1" magnets into a pocket, add a few seconds for a drop of Loctite, if doing production.

Last edited:
Depends a lot on your application and quantities. But a few suggestions from my own experience:

-Neodymium magnets often have a plating that can fracture if pressed too hard. Make sure to size your pocket for an appropriate fit (not too tight nor too loose)
-If potting with epoxy, leave an air hole to relieve the pressure when the magnet is pressed into the bore
-Magnetism between an arbor press and the magnet makes keeping the press in alignment a chore. Make a cap for the end of your press out of a non-magnetic material (delrin is great)
-Even better than just a bumper on the arbor of your press would be a two-part delrin alignment jig (a lower that fits on your part with a hole that matches the feature into which your magnet sets, and a upper that fits on your arbor with a protruding delrin 'pin' that presses the magnet down into the part below the lower). Picture a delrin mold cavity with the arbor being the ejector pin to eject the magnet into the part

Magnetize the magnet after assembly, use an electromagnet to insert the magnet, then reverse the field of the insertion tool to cause the two magnets to repel.

Tom

Back