What's new
What's new

Magnetic Chuck Parallels- Where to purchase

jimk1960

Aluminum
I am looking to purchase some magnetic chuck parallels and vee block.
Any thoughts on a good brand or company to purchase some form?

Thanks

Jim

It doesn't matter who makes them or who sells them. Get ones that match the pole pitch of your magnetic chuck.

I would disagree with this statement. The object of using parallels is to pass more lines of magnetism through small parts. If you have a wide pole chuck and use the same pitch parallels you're not passing any more magnetism through the part than just laying it on the chuck itself.

While each line of magnetism passing through a fine pole set of parallels is weaker than those passing through the wide pole chuck the greater number of lines of magnetism will hold the part more securely. Using parallels of the same pitch as the chuck does nothing more than raise the part off the chuck

I would disagree with this statement. The object of using parallels is to pass more lines of magnetism through small parts. If you have a wide pole chuck and use the same pitch parallels you're not passing any more magnetism through the part than just laying it on the chuck itself.

While each line of magnetism passing through s fine pole set of parallels is weaker than those passing through the wide pole chuck the greater number of lines of magnetism will hold the part more securely. Using parallels of the same pitch as the chuck does nothing more than raise the part off the chuck

That's pretty much the only reason I have used them...? Say if you have a boss or something...

That's pretty much the only reason I have used them...? Say if you have a boss or something...

I have used my parallels for that purpose as well. However in the past the machine has most often been used to grind specialty shims for the lower end units of Mercury Marine inboard/outboard motors. The shims are thin and often less than an inch in diameter. They don't cover enough lines on my wide pole magnetic chuck to remain stable when being ground. I use the parallels to pass through more lines of magnetism and keep them stable. Even then if I have to remove more than a total of a couple thousandths they get blocked.

so you use a finer parallel than the chuck? thats what i have (half the distance) and i never use them, because the force is a lot less than on the chuck, even for 1 mm sheet.

Dredging up undergrad intro physics from too many years ago: I don’t think you get more down pull for a part on a fine pitch mag parallel lifting the part above a wide pitch mag chuck. Please correct me if wrong. The original force the part sees is still the same, if not slightly less Due to distance.

L7

The feet of the parallels should match the spacing of the chuck's poles. The top of the parallels can be finer, if wanted. If you need this setup for a coarse poled chuck, the laminations need to be at right angles to the chuck's poles with spaces milled out of alternate laminations so they match the pole spacing of the chuck.

If the laminations of a parallel/block don't match the pole spacing of the chuck, you will lose holding force.

If the above don't apply, then you are 'short circuiting' the MMF of the chuck.

thats very interesting. why have i not seen anything like that? i have parallels the width of the chuck poles with double pitch of the chuck. if i put them across the chuck (laminations at right angle) there is no force at all. if they are length wise there is some down force.

I also find this interesting, and can't imagine why I've never heard of this issue before. I only have one mag chuck so can't do comparative testing.

metalmagpie

thats very interesting. why have i not seen anything like that? i have parallels the width of the chuck poles with double pitch of the chuck. if i put them across the chuck (laminations at right angle) there is no force at all. if they are length wise there is some down force.

Yes, and that was literally just explained to you... If you don't relieve the laminations where they cross poles, you are "short-circuiting" the poles. When that happens, buh-bye magnetic field. Same effect as when a "keeper" is put across a horseshoe magnet...

well, they dont cross the poles because they are a bit narrower than the poles. so what am i not getting?

My mag chuck is a Walker Ceramax, which has alternate wide and narrow poles but all seem to be on the same pitch as all of my mag parallels and magnetic vee blocks.

I did a primitive test. Lined up a parallel exactly with my pole pieces and put a part on and energized. Full strength hold. Turned 90 degrees to poles. Almost zero hold. Essentially same results with vee blocks.

My conclusion is you don't strictly have to have identical pole spacings as long as you have the same pole pitch. Further, they work enormously better exactly aligned to the chuck pole pieces.

metalmagpie

Back