What's new
What's new

Magnification Lamp Recomendations

Kevin T

Stainless
I am getting old and it is often that I need to get some magnification for detailed work in my shop. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good magnification lamp that I can clamp to a table and move around if needed? Something made with quality materials and rustproof is important. Thanks

I've got a magnification lamp for the same purpose. Can't recall make/model but my $0.02. The decent ones have heavy optics...so make sure the swing arm springs are strong-enough to keep it in place. Avoid florescent tubes and go with LEDs.

An alternative, get an Optivisor. Half as expensive as a fixed set-up and since it's on your head, it follows you wherever you go in the shop. Including over to an area with better lighting.

I give a plus on the Opti-visor. I have two with different strength lenses so that I can use different magnifications easily. I have used this brand for over 50 years and am well pleased with them. I am now 88 years old, and need magnification more than ever before. I have binocular microscopes with variable magnification for extremely small work.

Thanks a lot guys for the recommendation on the Optivisor. I wasnt totally sure which one to get but I got a DA-3 model that said the focal distance is 14 inches. I may need to get a different lens if that isn't right for me but it seemed like that will give me room to get my hands in there too!

Many of the new ones have plastic lens. Make sure you get one with glass. The optics will collect dust and you want to be able to clean it off without scratching the lens. I have three of these - all older ones with circular fluorescent bulbs which continue to work fine. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one of these used (compared to a sub-$100 LED and plastic lens version) if you found one, despite the older style bulb.

For a bit higher magnification for reading small details, an illuminated magnifier is handy. For continuous work at magnification an Optivisor, one of the pricey dental type magnifiers, or a quality low power stereo microscope are all good.

At 75 I can drive legally without glasses, but need corrective lenses for up-close work. I get regular eye exams and the doc gives me a real prescription, but it is a simple one with little correction for astigmatism and no other problems. So, with her knowledge, I just buy inexpensive reading glasses. I get them in an assortment of powers, some close to my prescription and others with greater powers for real close work. They are inexpensive, many cost $5 or less and I probably have a dozen pairs. I consider them expendable and just leave them in all the places where I use them. I have several pairs on my main workbench. These various glasses serve for about 90% of my needs.

In addition I have two name brand visors and a couple more cheap imports. They are also left where I need and use them.

When all of the above fails, I have four magnifying lenses in my pocket at all times. They have powers of 2X, 10X, 15X, and 20X. If all of that fails, I have two microscopes. Three if you count the USB one.

I can usually see what I want to see.

I have used the magnifying lamps and they are OK. But I find having a variety of magnification devices available a lot better.

+1 for the Optivisor, it's an essential piece of equipment for me and my eyes. I would also go with Pete M's suggestion about glass lenses instead of the plastic lenses as it does make quite a difference over a few years. Plastic lenses will also get tiny embedded particles from being around the surface grinder over time that glass won't. Wherever you get them make sure they don't try to substitute plastic for the glass by testing, had that happen and couldn't return them.

I like the lighted magnifying glass idea too. I may need to pick one of those up too. Thanks for all the great info guys.

We switched to Luxo KFM LED a few years back and techs love it. It is bright, dimmable, lens is glass and arm stays where you put it, unlike low cost ones which always seem to come down under their own weight.

2nd on the visor style and also a lit lens with arm that's substantial
Don't use Windex to clean them, the plastic lens will start to haze.
Fortunately I'm a yard sale junkie and both of the above are common inexpensive purchases that I search for
Pocket lens have also become something I watch for, especially the "credit card" style that you can slip in a wallet

young guys use their cell phone. using camera and zoom with phone light on it actually can make fine print on the side of something 2 or 3 times bigger easily and screen is bright than what you often have it pointed at.
hard to describe but its a neat trick

young guys use their cell phone. using camera and zoom with phone light on it actually can make fine print on the side of something 2 or 3 times bigger easily and screen is bright than what you often have it pointed at.
hard to describe but its a neat trick

I use the phone in this way too but it is hard to work a phone and use a dial caliper at the same time!

I picked up a lamp made by OC white. at a garage sale. It is very good, uses the circular bulb.

I have one of those, too, but the circular fluorescent lamp they use is an odd size, and I think you have to get the replacement lamp from them.

We switched to Luxo KFM LED a few years back and techs love it. It is bright, dimmable, lens is glass and arm stays where you put it, unlike low cost ones which always seem to come down under their own weight.

Thanks for dropping the brand name. I saw they have a lot of products but wasn't sure of the quality. I could see me getting one of these at some point.

Luxo 18113LG KFM LED Magnifier

KFM_LED_Grey.jpg

"young guys use their cell phone"
Old guys too
I use my phones camera feature for a quick way to see what I can't easily see and at the same time record data from a spot that may be impossible to read without laying on the floor

A question: I know focal length is from the objet to the lens, but do one's eyes need to be any specific distance from the lens also? I have a 5D optivisor I use for engraving, but it requires me to get my face kinda close to the work and my neck complains.

Back