What's new
What's new

Running a Cold Grinder Spindle

Spyderedge

Titanium
A DoAll DH612 surface grinder just found it's way into my shop. It sits in an unheated barn, and the seller said not to run it in the winter because it might hurt the bearings. Theory is the spindle contracts more in the cold more than the spindle body and gives excess preload on the races and might hurt something. But I have a friend who says not to worry about it....

Any info to back up either claim?

Make up a sheet metal cover and put a 40watt light bulb in a simple (safe) fixture in the cover to keep it warm. Fire it up and let it run idle for fifteen minutes before putting it to use when it's stupid cold.

Make up a sheet metal cover and put a 40watt light bulb in a simple (safe) fixture in the cover to keep it warm. Fire it up and let it run idle for fifteen minutes before putting it to use when it's stupid cold.

That's what the seller told me too, except he said to use a 100w bulb. Are you sure you are not with OSHA? :D

He fired up his HLV-H in the winter and ran it for awhile without warming it up, now the bearings make some noise. (should've included that in the first post.)

"That's what the seller told me too, except he said to use a 100w bulb."

40 watt is plenty and costs 2 1/2 times less to run for a month.

As Thermite said it gets real cold here in bad winters, I've seen it down to as low as -15F during the day.
I have no plans to grind in the dead of winter though, the barn is basically off limits for 3 cold months!

Have been running grinders in un-heated for years with no problem in Michigan.. I always jog (perhaps 3 times when very cold) start any (every) grinder not warmed up with a jog.

But yes it would seem condensation might exist for a cold start, going warm and back to cold.
(Mikes idea 40 wt and safe box is a good idea with lamp under a part of the spindle)

Setting 3 months then a few hand spins then jog or a few IMHO. warm or not.

Grease can turn into a slug and a bit of dust can build in even in a sealed bearing causing a bearing to drag a bit before turning so always jog.

Gots to watch that. Outdoors early in our marriage, 40-degree F Type One. Class One Virginia day, light clothing.

Brand-new 'South Chinese' wife starts in on me that I need a hat, coat, and gloves..

I say "No need. I'm Gweilo. This is our normal climate. I have a layer of fat to insulate me!"

She sort of cocks her head, takes a long look, sez:

"More than a layer!"

Bill

Like going hungry and sleeping on the couch do you? ;)

Back