What's new
What's new

Maker of these bandsaw wheels?

neilho

Titanium
Picked these up at an auction, contents of the room etc. No identifying marks that I can see, previous owner passed away.

bs wheel 1.jpgbs wheel 2.jpg

24" diameter, both rubber tired, no crown, no flanges. The wheel on the left is about 1.5" wide and has a straight keyed bore. The wheel on the right has a bore of 2.830" (approx), with 3 tapped holes that look suited for a taperlock bushing, but it's a straight bore.

There's a weight attached to one, also drilled holes on the rim of the other, prob balanced to run at woodworking speeds, but would like to verify the mfger, if possible.

Because...I'm planning a firewood processor and intend to use a bandsaw as a cutoff, just want to make sure they're made to run fast.

Anyone recognize them?

I'll start looking at older DoAll pix!

Seems if they came from a vertical, they'd be balanced for wood working speeds, if for a horizontal, maybe not. But thanks for the potential ID. That narrows the possibilities somewhat.

I'll start looking at older DoAll pix!

Seems if they came from a vertical, they'd be balanced for wood working speeds, if for a horizontal, maybe not. But thanks for the potential ID. That narrows the possibilities somewhat.

They look like DoAll, I doubt they are, don't think DoAll made a 24" bandsaw?

Kevin

From cruising the net looking for Doall wheels, the Doall 3612-1H3 has 24" wheels, but the DoAll site manual I found has a drawing of the wheels that have differently shaped holes in the wheels, more of a pie shape.

But...here's a thread for a V36 post #6 (photoshop has made it difficult to copy and paste it) with identical looking wheels but maybe, as Kevin says, they're 16". Dead ringers otherwise, though, down to the wider flange on the "idler" wheel and different diameter centers.

Other net pix of V36 wheels have the pieshaped openings, so I'm wondering if it's an era thing. Possible that a 3612-1H3 of a different age than I found has similar holes in the wheels?

It does narrow it down a bit. If the auction wheels are from a Doall vertical, they'd be balanced for woodworking speeds. More research required...

From cruising the net looking for Doall wheels, the Doall 3612-1H3 has 24" wheels, but the DoAll site manual I found has a drawing of the wheels that have differently shaped holes in the wheels, more of a pie shape.

But...here's a thread for a V36 post #6 (photoshop has made it difficult to copy and paste it) with identical looking wheels but maybe, as Kevin says, they're 16". Dead ringers otherwise, though, down to the wider flange on the "idler" wheel and different diameter centers.

Other net pix of V36 wheels have the pieshaped openings, so I'm wondering if it's an era thing. Possible that a 3612-1H3 of a different age than I found has similar holes in the wheels?

It does narrow it down a bit. If the auction wheels are from a Doall vertical, they'd be balanced for woodworking speeds. More research required...

Are you sure the 3612-1H3 has 24” wheels, the manual I found, looks like a standard configuration with 16” wheels?

Look at #2 on page 4.

https://www.doallsaws.com/manuals/3612-1H3 358-76101 to 358-78155 Parts Manual.pdf

The later model 36” saws can be converted into a 16” bandsaw, there’s a blade guard that bolts in place for the 16” configuration.

I’ve made a couple of these over the years!

Kevin

Are you sure the 3612-1H3 has 24” wheels, the manual I found, looks like a standard configuration with 16” wheels?

Look at #2 on page 4.

404 Not Found 1 DoALL Sawing

Well, no, I'm not sure! :D

Do you mean the item labelled "Saw band guard assembly"? (Comes up on page 5 on my confuser is why I ask.)

Also in the same manual and a couple others the wheels are identified as wheel assemblies, but with nary a diameter printed. What makes me think that the wheels on the 3612-1H3 may be 24" diameter are sellers' specs, in this search , listings 3-9, to wit, "24"/36"x125"/175" DoAll 3612-1H3 Vertical Band Saw, 1977...". All Revelation Machinery ads, not a very good dataset.

I see what you seem to be saying, that in the alternate configuration a shorter saw blade wraps around the two front wheels only and that a blade guard is needed for the conversion, but I don't find the 16" number anywhere in that manual.

Well, no, I'm not sure! :D

Do you mean the item labelled "Saw band guard assembly"? (Comes up on page 5 on my confuser is why I ask.)

Also in the same manual and a couple others the wheels are identified as wheel assemblies, but with nary a diameter printed. What makes me think that the wheels on the 3612-1H3 may be 24" diameter are sellers' specs, in this search , listings 3-9, to wit, "24"/36"x125"/175" DoAll 3612-1H3 Vertical Band Saw, 1977...". All Revelation Machinery ads, not a very good dataset.

I see what you seem to be saying, that in the alternate configuration a shorter saw blade wraps around the two front wheels only and that a blade guard is needed for the conversion, but I don't find the 16" number anywhere in that manual.

Clueless seller!
Here’s the same seller with a different add, vertical height, 125”?

24"/36" x 125"/175" DoAll #3612-1H3, Vertical Band Saw, 1977 for Sale

Look at the last picture in this add, it shows the two different band lengths for both configurations.

DoAll DBW-15M 36" Vertical Contour Band Saw, #3612-2H3 (Steel Working Machinery) | eBay

This add shows the guard installed.

DoAll Vertical Band Saw Variable DC speed, Inv 42246 | eBay

Kevin

Clueless seller! Here’s the same seller with a different add, vertical height, 125”?

That's clearly the saw band length, as shown in your next link.

24"/36" x 125"/175" DoAll #3612-1H3, Vertical Band Saw, 1977 for Sale

Look at the last picture in this add, it shows the two different band lengths for both configurations.

Yes, it does.

Kevin, I get that the band length can change depending on whether it's wrapped around 2 or 3 wheels. And that an additional blade guard is needed for the 2 wheel configuration.

What I'd like to understand is your assertion that the wheels are 16" diameter. I haven't seen any supporting data, here or elsewhere on the net.

That's clearly the saw band length, as shown in your next link.

Yes, it does.

Kevin, I get that the band length can change depending on whether it's wrapped around 2 or 3 wheels. And that an additional blade guard is needed for the 2 wheel configuration.

What I'd like to understand is your assertion that the wheels are 16" diameter. I haven't seen any supporting data, here or elsewhere on the net.

I own three 36" DoAlls and two 16" DoAlls, they share the same wheels.....if I could get pictures of the saws I would! In the process of putting up pallet racking and the saws are buried......look at this tag from a 16" DoAll, you will see it takes the same band length.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...68-doall-1612-0-band-saw-doall-bandsaw-5-.jpg

Two wheel saws throat depth is determined by the wheel size, 16" wheel would be 16" throat....if they put a 24" wheel on a 16" saw, you would have 8" of wasted space!

I think these may actually be Grob 36" bandsaw wheels?

Used Grob Grob 4v-36 Vertical Band Saw | HGR Industrial Surplus

Kevin

Back