What's new
What's new

Makers overusing angle grinders and step bits

JasonPAtkins

Hot Rolled
I get a lot of maker videos in my youtube/fb feeds. I'm always surprised by how often, in otherwise decently stocked shops, they use step drill bits for holemaking and angle grinders instead of saws for cutting. I have a fab/machine shop and I can't remember the last time I used an angle grinder to dimension stock - and of the thousands of drills I own, I don't have a single step bit. Are these two things really as popular as those videos seem to indicate?

My suspicion is just that they're all using angle grinders because they don't have the proper saw (or plasma in the case of plate layout) and the step bit because they don't have a bigger set of twist drills?

Am I missing out on something great by under or not utilizing these seemingly extremely common methods? Or are they not really as prevalent as these videos seem to indicate? Or maybe they really are the tools of choice for the home makers that don't have better tools like I'm fortunate enough to have?

Likely correct that they don't have decent saws or plasma cutters but with the step drills it's likely a lack of a serious drill press or mill rather than a bit issue. Many years ago when all an engineering shop had was a lightweight bench top DP and a portable drill I found step bits to be lifesavers for making holes in electronic enclosures.

Also, unlike twist drills step bits don't snag when exiting.

Good step drills are really handy for sheet metal work. But emphasis on "good", a lot of step drills are made with crap steels and poor geometry. If you want to try a set, look for those made from cobalt HSS and with ground edges. Run slower RPM and with controlled pressure to keep the edges cutting.

I almost never use angle grinders for anything other than welding prep or softening edges on steel plates. Never for "precision" work.

They probably never sought to educate themselves and they just 'have at it"....some more successfully than others. At least they are striving to make sometime, not wasting time on video games or sports (or you tube :D )

I have step drills, sometimes handy for sheet metal and if I didn't have a bandsaw, a zip disk would make more sense than a hacksaw on anything but the smallest stock. For fab work, zip cutters get used all the time for coping etc, not a stretch to use it as a cut off saw if that's all you've got

Hard to convince anyone of your maker “cred” when you show a $200,000.00 proper machine tool to make your widget when any fool with an angle grinder and a hand drill can do it and make a video of it for under $500.00.

I have several step drills, use them for sheet metal work only. Cutting stock to size use the bandsaw, no plasma cutter (yet), so I do use cut-off wheels for jobs that simply would not work or fit into bandsaw, things like cutting a square hole in middle of piece of 1/4" plate, or trimming 1/4" off a long edge.

I follow a Youtube poster Urchin (?) that often uses a angle grinder w/cutoff wheel but also a plasma cutter. His recent addition of cnc plasma has reduced his angle cutter time.
I don't think he would fit in a production environment , but in sheet metal/auto body restoration the tool work for him with nice results.
2nd on the crappy step drills.
I've tried a few and the only benefit using one is a little bit of control when drilling sheet metal...but then again a dull drill bit does the same

When you make youtube videos you have to appeal to an audience.

You don't appeal to the folks trying to figure out how to make something for the first time if you're using pro methods.

The whole "maker" scene exists in its own universe. A lot of those folks learned from other people or videos in the same scene, so they use the same tools.

It's more about familiarity and access than the best choice. 10-15 years ago I used to be on those forums trying to convince people to buy a damn vise, but they were all saving up for Dremels.

I've run into a similar thing in some auto mechanics shops. I would go over to a friend's ship to help out with some welding and the only grinders are little air grinders with cut off disks in them which they use for all their grinding. I don't know what Snap On originally sold them the grinder for, but once they've got it, they never consider that there might be other, better grinders.

In my experience there is a time when an angle grinder is good for cutting. I have a plasma cutter but I have found that for cutting relatively thick plates of stainless steel, an angle grinder is the quickest and easiest way. My two cents worth.

I've never seen anyone at our shop have or use a step drill. If I asked someone to borrow a step drill they'd hand me a counter bore tool. If I can get whatever it is on the saw that's what I'm doing so I don't have to eat the grinding wheel. But then again we rarely ever work with sheet metal. Angle grinders and step drills look like the stuff I see the TV bike builder's using.

Brent

I have drills up to 3", but they are a foot long and have 4 Morse taper shanks. A lot of my work is retrofitting machines with VFDs and the like. When I need to put a hole in a box that is already mounted on the machine a step drill in a cordless drill motor is by far the easiest solution.

One of the best mechanics I have worked with used a die grinder with a cutoff disk all the time. Much of his work required things like cutting off a bolt at arm's length inside a cabinet. Everything has its use.

Bill

I think it's becuse they see other youtubers do it and assume that's the way it's done. In the same fashion I never saw so many 90° air grinders used before I saw it on the TV hotrod shows. I use step drills in sheetmetal when I can because of the nice job they do, but I start the hole with a 1/8" drill bit in a air drill because they suck for starting a hole on location.

BTW the first sheetmetal hole drill I saw or used used was a 2 flute deal with no steps, they are awesome but rather expensive because they are made in the US - forget the maker ATM. You can start a hole in the side of a coke can and finish it with no dent or burrs.

Angle grinder ? Pffft......gas axe .Seriously tho ,Ive welded up and recut splines and gear teeth on site with an angle grinder.....needs must.....I love the Pferd 1mm thick cutting discs...magic.

A comment on step drills - I specifically buy cobalt drills because they're better at handling the abrasive wear and excess friction that step drills usually deal with, and I try to buy USA-made ones. But sometimes companies change their country of manufacture, as noted here:

Irwin Unibit Step Drill Bits are Now Made in China?

Seems to be a relatively recent change, and you may still be able to get Unibits that are US made. But there's others out there, or quality Japanese, etc. bits that you can get too.

I use a lot of silicon bronze, which is exceptionally difficult to machine. But, step drills do really good with it, it's the single flute, maybe 2 flutes with close to a 90 deg cut angle. They do really well, so I grind them down to finish diameter and use them like drill/reamers. Make them in specific sizes needed for production. Best bit/hole finish I've used so far by a mile.

For general use, mileage varies depending on the project.

A comment on step drills - I specifically buy cobalt drills because they're better at handling the abrasive wear and excess friction that step drills usually deal with, and I try to buy USA-made ones. But sometimes companies change their country of manufacture, as noted here:

Irwin Unibit Step Drill Bits are Now Made in China?

Seems to be a relatively recent change, and you may still be able to get Unibits that are US made. But there's others out there, or quality Japanese, etc. bits that you can get too.

Does irwin make anything here? They buy the name, have the employees pack up all the production equipment and send it to china. Then the employees collect unemployment.

Does irwin make anything here? They buy the name, have the employees pack up all the production equipment and send it to china. Then the employees collect unemployment.

Yeah, it sucks. I remember your being pissed about their "new" Vise-Grips, and looking for old ones. Seems I sold you a few... ;)

Just another pillaging Corp raider. Damn their hides...

Back